Advance, North Carolina
Coordinates: Advance (pronounced with the stress on the first syllable) is an unincorporated community located in Davie County, North Carolina. It has a total land area of 62.3 square miles (161 km2) and is located along NC 801 and US 158 just south of Bermuda Run near the western bank of the Yadkin River. Advance is a part of the Piedmont Triad and is home to Shady Grove Elementary School. Neighboring communities and municipalities include: Bermuda Run, Mocksville, Hillsdale,and Redland.
Various accounts exist for the origin of the town's name. Some suggest the name was derived from the name of a popular resident and freed slave, Addington Vance. Other accounts suggest the community was named by residents who hoped that with the addition of a post office, the community would advance. Yet another possibility is that the town was named after the Confederate blockade steamer "Advance", which was commonly referred to as the AD Vance.
While Advance remains unincorporated, it is recognized by the US Postal Service under zip code 27006. The common area of Advance actually blankets several smaller unincorporated communities that are not recognized by the postal service:
- Farmington (south of Spillman Road)
- Fork Church
- Shady Grove
- Smith Grove
The Advance population has grown at an accelerated pace within the past 10 years, with Advance evolving from a rural community into a more suburban bedroom community of Clemmons and Winston-Salem. Numerous housing developments have popped up on once-vibrant farmland, but Advance's small town character still shines through.
Advance has had several businesses that were prominent through its history. A few of these include:
- 801 Shell - once the only business convenient to I-40 and a landmark for over 40 years, 801 Shell will soon be torn to make way for a four-lane highway
- Advance Barber Shop -owned and operated by Mark Armsworthy; a popular hang-out among soft ball legends such as Robbie Jackson and Adam Dellinger
- Advance Car Wash (building still standing, but the business has long been closed down) Now home to the Ghostbusters car.
- Advance Florist
- Advance Video - (no longer in business) known locally as Jitter's.
- Jeffco - a salon equipment and fixture company
- L&G Hair Design - (closed) operated by Larry & Gail Campbell (Larry being the unofficial mayor of Hillsdale for several terms), L&G at one time was the only barber shop on the eastern end of the county. The barber shop was the place to be for local gossip and Davie High athletics chatter.
- Tucker's Place restaurant - located in the building that once housed Advance Video
- Vogler's TV & VCR Service - a television repair shop
- Wright Farm Gates - a farm and ranch equipment distribution company
Schools & Civic Service
- Advance Masonic Lodge
- Advance Volunteer Fire Department
- Davie Civitan Club
- Cornatzer Elementary School
- Shady Grove Elementary School
- William Ellis Middle School
- Advance Baptist Church
- Advance United Methodist Church
- Calvary Baptist Church, West Campus (March 2009)
- Elbaville Methodist Church
- Hillsdale Baptist Church
- Hillsdale United Methodist Church
- Macedonia Moravian Church
- Mocks United Methodist Church
- Redland Church Of Christ
- Redland Pentecostal Holiness Church
- Yadkin Valley Baptist Church
One significant landmark in the Advance area is the Vestal Potts Gymnasium. The basketball gymnasium is named after legendary coach Vestal Potts who coached Shady Grove's basketball teams to numerous championships.