AP Environmental Science
Advanced Placement Environmental Science (AP Environmental Science, AP Viro, AP Environmental, AP Environment, AP Env. Sci., or APES) is a course offered by the College Board as part of the Advanced Placement Program to high school students interested in the environmental and natural sciences. This course is designed to provide students with scientific principles, concepts, and methodologies necessary to comprehend the relationships abundant within the natural world, to identify and analyze environmental problems, to evaluate relative risks associated with these identified problems, and to examine alternative solutions for resolving and/or preventing similar problems facing the global environment. The percentage of students scoring a grade of "5" was only 10.4% in the 2009 testing administration. It remains one of the lowest "5" scoring AP Exams to this date right under AP Art History, AP English Literature & Composition, AP English Language & Composition, and AP World History.
Topics covered in AP Environmental Science include:
- Earth Systems and Resources
- The Living World
- Land and Water Use
- Energy Resources and Consumption
- Global Change
- Section I: Multiple Choice (100 questions, 90 minutes).
- Section II: Free-Response (one data-set question, one document-based question, and two synthesis and evaluation questions, 90 minutes).
|5||4||3||2||1||Mean||Number of Students|
- Barlaz, Dora; Freudenrich, Craig; Gardner, Jane (2011). AP Environmental Science 2011. New York, New York: Kaplan Publishing.
- http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/ap09_EnvSci_GradeDistributions.pdf 2009 Grade Distribution
- http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/2010_EnvSci_Score_Dist.pdf 2010 Grade Distribution
- http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/2011_Env_Sci_Score_Dist.pdf 2011 Grade Distribution
- The College Board. "AP Environmental Science Student Score Distributions". Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/ap/apcentral/ap13_enviro_sci_ScoringDist.pdf 2013 Grade Distribution