||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (December 2010)|
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
The first issue of Adventist Currents appeared in July 1983. The magazine was published independently by members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in North America, specifically, by Mars Hill Publications, Inc. in Loma Linda, California. It was a response to the controversial dismissal of Seventh-day Adventist theologian Desmond Ford in 1980.
Perhaps its most commonly cited article is "Currents Interview: Walter Martin" by Douglas Hackleman, Adventist Currents 1:1 (July 1983), p15. Walter Martin was an evangelical who had much to do with the Adventist church's increasing acceptance as a valid Christian denomination, which is also related to the production of Questions on Doctrine.
Another significant article was by Molleurus Couperus, "The Significance of Ellen White’s Head Injury" Adventist Currents 1:6 (June 1985), p. 31 (link points to a republished version on a site critical of Adventism). In this article Couperus, an Adventist physician, controversially suggested that church co-founder Ellen G. White's visions were due to temporal lobe epilepsy. Another physician, Donald Peterson, has responded in "Visions or Seizures: Was Ellen White the Victim of Epilepsy?", which is published on the official Ellen G. White Estate website.
Volume 1 spanned 1983 to 1985 and contained 6 issues. Volume 2 spanned 1985 to 1987 with 4 issues. The final issue was Volume 3:1 published in April 1988. Several issues of a newsletter were published in 1990.
It has been claimed that the magazine Adventist Today filled the void left by Adventist Currents when it ceased publication.
- Progressive Adventism
- List of Seventh-day Adventist periodicals
- Spectrum, the leading progressive Adventist magazine (as of 2007)
- Adventist Today, other liberal/progressive Adventist magazine
- Evangelica by Desmond Ford and others
- Archives from private website "Perspective Publications" by Douglas Hackleman
- Adventist Currents entry in the Andrews University library catalog
- Questions on Doctrine Annotated, Republished by Mark Kellner. Adventist Review
- "The Israel Dammon Trial" blog by Adventist lecturer Jeff Crocombe
- Adventist currents: the newsletter entry in the Andrews University library catalog
|This Seventh-day Adventist-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Christian magazine or journal-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.