|Executive publisher/editor||Bill Knott|
|Categories||Christian - Seventh-day Adventist|
|Publisher||Review and Herald (Hagerstown, Maryland)|
|Paid circulation||nearly 30,000|
|First issue||July 1849, The Present Truth; current title Adventist Review since 1978|
The Adventist Review is the semi-official newsmagazine of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.  Commonly known as the Review, it is published weekly by the Review and Herald Publishing Association. The Review and Herald also publishes a sister magazine, Adventist World. The current editor of the Adventist Review is Bill Knott. The magazine currently has nearly 30,000 paying subscribers. Its library reference number is OCLC 9572173.
The Adventist Review was founded by James and Ellen White in July 1849 as The Present Truth, but the name was changed to The Advent Review and then Second Advent Review and Sabbath Herald (with variations) after being combined with the Advent Herald publication. The name was changed to Adventist Review in 1978. Throughout its history it has been commonly referred to as the Review.
It is known that for certain copies of the earliest issues, 1000 or 2000 copies were printed. In the 1940s paid circulation passed 40,000; and exceeded 50,000 in the 1950s. In 1963 the circulation reached 96,000, but has since diminished. In January 1994 circulation was 250,000 for the first issue of each month, and 40,000 for other issues.
During the 1990s the magazine rotated through four different editions that had regular and feature articles focusing on different church issues and spiritual matters - the North American Division edition, Crosswalk edition, AnchorPoints edition, and Cutting Edge edition. These different editions were phased out with the introduction of Adventist World magazine.
An estimated 33% of Adventists have access to the Review, according to a 2002 worldwide survey of local church leaders.
For more historical information, see the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia, the history article Our Roots and Mission by William Johnsson, or the archives listed in "External links" below.
- 2010, Associated Church Press (ACP):
- Award of Excellence Feature Article: Magazine, Long Format for “Seeing the Sparrow Fall” by Dixil Rodríguez, November 19
- Award of Excellence Devotional/Inspirational: Long Format for “Seeing the Sparrow Fall” by Dixil Rodríguez, November 19
- Award of Merit Illustration, With Article or Cutline for “Church Dropouts,” Bill Tymeson, designer, June 18
- Award of Merit Publication Website for online edition, adventistreview.org
- Honorable Mention Editorial or Opinion Piece: Magazine for “Good and Green” by Bill Knott, April 9.
- Honorable Mention Theme Issue, Section, or Series: Magazine for “Good Health: More Than an Apple a Day” by Sandra Blackmer, June 25
- Honorable Mention Biographical Profile for "I Know He Watches Me" by Stephen Chavez, April 16
- 2008, Associated Church Press (ACP): two Awards of Excellence, 2 awards of merit
- 2003, Associated Church Press (ACP): An Award of Excellence, the highest award in the Humor Graphic category, presented to the Adventist Review for "The Tightrope," created by Ralph Butler, for the January 2002 issue
- November 1850 – 1851 James White and others on the "Publishing Committee"
- 1851 – 1855 James White
- 1855 – 1861 Uriah Smith
- 1861 – 1864 James White
- 1864 – 1869 Uriah Smith
- 1869 – 1870 J. N. Andrews
- 1870 – 1871 Uriah Smith
- 1871 – 1872 James White
- 1872 – 1873 Uriah Smith
- 1873 – 1877 James White
- 1877 – 1880 Uriah Smith
- 1880 – 1881 James White (died August 6, 1881)
- 1881 – 1897 Uriah Smith
- 1897 – 1901 A. T. Jones
- 1901 – 1903 Uriah Smith (died March 6, 1903)
- 1903 – 1909 W. W. Prescott
- 1909 – 1911 W. A. Spicer
- 1911 – 1944 F. M. Wilcox
- 1945 W. A. Spicer, for six months
- 1945 – 1966 F. D. Nichol
- 1966 – 1982 Kenneth Wood
- 1982 – 2006 Bill Johnsson
- 2007 – present; Bill Knott
Note that for limited periods, the evidence is uncertain because a group of people are listed as "editors". It is assumed that the first person listed is the head editor.
- Record (magazine)
- List of Seventh-day Adventist periodicals
- Media ministries of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- "Adventist Review - Contact Us". Adventist Review. Archived from the original on 13 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
- "About the Review". Adventist Review. Archived from the original on 15 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
- "Adventist Review". Seventh-Day Adventist Encyclopedia. Review & Herald Pub. Assn. pp. 25–29.
- "Three Strategic Issues: A World Survey". General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, 2002. See question 45, on p15, 20 etc
- Associated Church Press Best of the Christian Press Awards, Presented May 8, 2010, Arlington, Virginia Accessed 2010-05-21
- Adventist Review magazine garners four top awards from Associated Church Press Accessed 2010-05-21
- ACP 'Best of the Christian Press' awards Accessed 2008-09-30
- Adventist Review, KidsView Receive Top Awards Accessed 2008-09-30
- Adventist Review official website
- Review and Herald Publishing Association
- "The Present Truth", commentary by Ellen G. White Estate
- July 1849–November 1850, The Present Truth, and
- August 1850–November 1850, The Advent Review The Present Truth and The Advent Review, including an introduction, and two special editions.
- 1850–1998 Review and Herald Archives at the General Conference Office of Archives & Statistics. In DjVu format with free plug-in available.
- 1997–2006 Get Past Issues at the Adventist Review website. Various file formats
- Anniversary issues of the Adventist Review - (1909, '19, '24, '38, '45, '49, '52, '61, '75, '94, '99). In DjVu format.