Adventure (TV series)
|Narrated by||Charles Collingwood|
|Theme music composer||Bernard Greenwald (as Bernard Green)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|Original run||May 1953 – July 1956|
Adventure is a documentary television series that aired on CBS beginning in 1953. The series was produced in collaboration with the American Museum of Natural History and hosted by Charles Collingwood. The program consisted of interviews with scientists and academicians and films of anthropological expeditions.
Marcel LaFollette has written, "Production approaches that are now standard practice on NOVA and the Discovery Channel derive, in fact, from experimentation by television pioneers like Lynn Poole and Don Herbert and such programs as Adventure, Zoo Parade, Science in Action, and the Bell Telephone System’s science specials. These early efforts were also influenced by television’s love of the dramatic, refined during its first decade and continuing to shape news and public affairs programming, as well as fiction and fantasy, today." LaFollette included the program in her 2008 overview of early broadcasting devoted to science popularization.
The show began its run in May 1953 and was broadcast on late Sunday afternoon. It switched to early Sunday evening (6:00 pm to 7:00 pm) in June 1953. In October 1953, it returned to Sunday afternoon and remained there through July 1956.
- Terrace, Vincent (1976). The Complete Encyclopedia of Television Programs 1947-1976 (Vol. 1). South Brunswick and New York: A.S. Barnes and Company. ISBN 0-498-01561-0.
- "Adventure (1953) - Episode list" Retrieved 2011-06-15.
- LaFollette, Marcel C. (September 2002). "A Survey of Science Content in U.S. Television Broadcasting, 1940s through 1950s: The Exploratory Years". Science Communication 24 (1): 34–71. doi:10.1177/107554700202400103. No free online access.
- LaFollette, Marcel Chotkowski (2008). Science on the Air: Popularizers and Personalities on Radio and Early Television. University of Chicago Press. pp. 223–225. ISBN 9780226467597.
- Brooks, Tim & Marsh, Earle (2007). The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows 1946-Present (9th ed.). New York: Ballantine Books. ISBN 978-0-345-49773-4.
|This article relating to a non-fiction television series in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|