||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: does not meet project guidelines. (November 2010)|
|Release date(s)||June 2, 2008 (Alpha)
August 18, 2008 (Beta)
October 10, 2008 (Live)
|Genre(s)||Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game|
AdventureQuest Worlds, often shortened to AQWorlds or simply AQW, is a browser-based MMORPG or massively multiplayer online role playing game developed and released by Artix Entertainment in 2008. Unlike most massively multiplayer role playing games, AdventureQuest Worlds was developed entirely in Adobe Flash. It currently has over 22 million registered accounts, reaching 6 million in May and 9 million in July 2009.
The setting of the game is in a similar universe as AdventureQuest, DragonFable, and MechQuest. The universe of AdventureQuest Worlds came into being when the Dragon of Time was defeated by Galanoth leading all the stray storylines of the previous games to come together into one, big game in which there are 13 Lords of Chaos.
Upon creating an account, players are asked to choose one of four "starting classes" to be as their personal character, which are warrior, mage, healer, and rogue. When the players start the game, they will also automatically receive a default weapon. The way a player can advance, progress and get better is by leveling up, which adds to their stat character page, making various abilities and attack power better, enhancements, and class. All classes have 5 abilities, one of which is always an "auto attack" or simply just striking an enemy. They may also have another "passive" abilities that is unlocked at rank 4 and for some classes, rank 10. Classes all start off as Rank 1 and progress as they receive class points from defeating enemies. This may depend on the enemies' level and difficulty stars (1-5). Upon defeating enemies, players also receive experience and gold. Players an also receive reputation for a certain faction in order to gain ranks (again, 1-10) for completing the various quests and quest chains in the game.
AdventureQuest Worlds has special events on special occasions, usually lasting afterwards to a week. Some are unique to the day (one time only), while others are resumed to be annual events. There were also live events with guest stars like Voltaire, One-Eyed Doll, George Lowe, Paul and Storm, Jonathan Coulton, the cast of Ctrl+Alt+Del, Ayi Jihu, ArcAttack, They Might Be Giants, Andrew Huang, Mia J. Park, and Michael Sinterniklaas as the voice of Deady.
|This section requires expansion. (June 2013)|
The Doom Knight Sepulchure and his undead army from Shadowfall invaded Swordhaven. King Alteon faced Sepulchure in a one-on-one duel to stop him. Unfortunately, the duel was interrupted by Drakath who kills Sepulchure by crushing his Undead Soul, causes King Alteon to go though his Chaorruption (short for Chaos Corruption) slowly, and plans to unleash his 13 Lords of Chaos upon Lore. Drakath after uses one of his 'Chaos Balls' to send the undead dragon where DoomKnight Sepulchure's daughter Gravelyn was on flying and crashes into the nearby mountain range . After the attack, the forces of good (led by King Alteon) and the forces of evil (led by Sepulchure's daughter Gravelyn) form a truce to fight Drakath and the Lords of Chaos. There are already signs of Chaorruption in the nearby forest and marsh causing the player to capture the Chaorrupted Wolves, Chaorrupted Bear, and Chaos Spiders alongside some antidote-based plants to be studied.
13 Lords of Chaos Saga
|This section requires expansion. (October 2013)|
Drakath unleashes his 13 Lords of Chaos upon Lore:
- Escherion - Escherion is a Battle Mage who was the very first Lord of Chaos. He was responsible for attacking Chiral Valley with an army of Fire Imps, Chaos Sp-Eyes, Cyclops Raiders, Chainsaw Sneevils, and Gargoyles. Despite that his name came from M. C. Escher, AQW also added the inverted looks of Escherion's magic where he inverted the different parts of Chiral Valley. He has the weapon that is called "Staff of Inversion", which can invert anything it could attack. His Chaos Beast is the Chaos Hydra which was awakened by the Runix Cube and eventually defeated when the inverted tower fell onto the Hydra's heads. He was defeated when he struck himself with the Staff of Inversion and caused his spells to rebound on himself.
- Xing and Xang - Xing and Xang are Yin and Yang-type twins that helped a king, queen, or a hero in a journey by giving them choices. But when they stumbled upon Drakath to give him choices, Xang was exchanged into the Mirror Realm with the Evil Xang and there they became the 2nd Lord(s) of Chaos. Later on when the player continues the Mirror Realm Saga, the Xangs are switched back. The Chaos powers combines Xing and Xang into a fallen angel-type being Xiang as the players end up fighting their Chaos Beast called the Chaos Harpy. They then fight Xiang. When Xiang is defeated, her two personalities end up in a dispute as she gets away.
- Vath - Vath is a Drow Dragonlord who is the third Lord of Chaos. He took over the whole Dwarfhold (a place where the dwarves lived) with an army of Drow Soldiers, Drow Assassins, and Chaotic Draconians. He jailed the player along with another dwarf when the player wandered through Vath's lair. As the player escapes, Vath hatches his Chaos Beast called the Rock Roc. Vath was defeated when the player destroys his Dragon Amulet which released Stalagbite from the Dragon Amulet's control. He thanked the players and flew away with Vath to an unknown fate.
- Kitsune - Kitsune is the fourth Lord of Chaos. He is an anthropomorphic fox from Yōkai Isle who was Chaorrupted by Drakath when Kitsune was displeased that Emperor Daisho was letting outsiders onto the island. Within a full-bodied armor, Kitsune persuaded the Kappa Ninjas, Ninja Nopperabos, Samurai Nopperabos, Tanukis, Tsukumo-Gamis, and Funa-Yureis to join his cause into claiming Yokai Island for the Yokai. Kitsune uses the stolen Hanzamune Dragon Koi Blade to release the O-Dokuro from the Rift of Time. After the O-Dokuro and Kitsune are defeat, the player claim the Hanzamune Dragon Koi Blade. When Kitsune starts to charge them, the player unknowingly opens a rift to the Yokai World that Kitsune gets sucked into and then closes it.
- Chaos Wolfwing - Wolfwing is a Werepyre (a half-Werewolf and half-Vampire) who is the fifth Lord of Chaos. He was based in Darkovia where he was once an ordinary man who was bitten by a werewolf and then by the Vampire Queen Safira. At some point, Wolfwing was Chaorrupted by Drakath. While building an army of Werepyres, Chaos Wolfwing was Chaorrupting the local werewolves and vampires to his causeh. Chaos Wolfwing was using chaos energies to make them more powerful. After the player unites the warring vampires led by Safira and the werewolves led by Constantin, they go on to face Chaos Wolfwing. However, before they can stop him, he bites a chained-up dragon that he had captured with his powers augmented by the full moon. This becomes his Chaos Beast called a Dracowerepyre. The player will then move on to attack Chaos Wolfwing. After defeating him, they can choose to spare his life or kill him. Either way, Shadowhunter Z kills him anyway. When the moon shines on Chaos Wolfwing's remains, his eyes are shown glowing in the pile.
- Kimberly Freeman - The lead singer of One-Eyed Doll was Chaorrupted by Drakath who sang a Chaotic Tune to her which resulted in Kimberly becoming the sixth Lord of Chaos. Using Dischordia (a parody of Erik) as a proxy and the mesmerizing music, she hypnotized the Beatles, the Tune-A-Fish, the Grateful Undeads, the Rock Lobsters, the Stingers, the Pachelbells Cannons, the Mozards, the Music Pirates, and the Flying Music Pirates into attacking Mythsong Canyon in order to disrupt Lorestockapalooza. Upon Kimberly's true colors being discovered, she sends the player back in time to face her Chaos Beast called Pony Gary Yellow (a Triceratops/Dragon hybrid). After Kimberly and her band were defeated, the Chaotic Tune in Kimberly's head is removed as she and the player enable Lorestockapalooza to continue.
- Ledgermayne - The seventh Lord of Chaos. He was originally a mass of mana that was assembled by Drakath's Chaos Magic. He bewitched the Seed Spitters, Gorillaphants (a hybrid of a gorilla and an elephant), Acornents, Karasus, Swamp Frogdrakes, Swamp Lurkers, Anglerfish, Merdraconians, Earth Elementals, Water Elementals, Wind Elementals, Fire Elementals, Volcanic Maggots, Scoria Serpents, Living Fires, Mana Imps, and Mana Falcons to serve him. As the player goes around collecting the four pieces of the Supreme Arcane, Ledgermayne then went against Drakath in order to close the Para-Elemental Plane of Magic. When the player confront Ledgermayne on the Para-Elemental Plane of Magic, Ledgermayne releases his Chaos Beast called the Mana Golem to fight the player. After the Mana Golem was defeated, the player then defeats Ledgermayne where Drakath ended up helping the player to help use the Supreme Arcane Staff to regress Ledgermayne back into the mass of mana that he was created from.
- Tibicenas - The eighth Lord of Chaos. He was an evil djinn who was banished from the Djinn World for tampering with Chaos Magic. The ring containing Tibicenas was found by a hedge-mage named Zahart. Tibicenas used Zahart in his mission to find his Chaos Beast called the Chaos Sphinx and awaken it with the diamond that serves as it's heart. After the Chaos Sphinx is defeated and regressed back to its harmless statue state, Zhoom destroys the ring which freed Tibicenas as he brainwashes Zahart into accompanying him to the Djinn World to take revenge on the Efreet that banished him. With the help of the Efreet, the player were able to defeat Tibicenas who explodes which frees Zahart from his control.
- Krellenos -
- Khasaanda -
- Iadoa -
- Maximilian Lionfang -
- Chaos King Alteon - The twelfth Lord of Chaos. In the beginning of the Chaos saga, he was wounded by Drakath, who left signs of Chaos on his body and armor. As the saga progressed, Alteon was becoming more and more Chaorrupted, despite fighting against the Chaos spreading within him. His transformation into the aforementioned Chaos Lord becomes completed during Princess Brittany and Lord Brentan's wedding. King Alteon brought the Chaos Dragon (a three-headed dragon where two of the heads are of a lion and an eagle) alive from the Dragon Statue following Princess Brittany's death.
The main form of payment is membership: a monthly, three-monthly, six-monthly or yearly fee required to access additional game content. However, AQ Worlds can be played for free without this additional game content. Like Artix Entertainment's other games, microtransactions, known in AdventureQuest Worlds as AdventureCoins, can be used to buy exclusive in-game items. Most Artix Entertainment merchandise also can be redeemed for in-game items.
|This section requires expansion. (November 2010)|
Carolyn Koh, from MMORPG.com, stated that "AdventureQuest Worlds is a fun little casual MMO". Kotaku's Mike Fahey praised the idea of using advertisements when the player died. Pete Davison, from GamePro, also noted the advertisements at death, calling it an "interesting" idea.
- Vault Network (12 January 2009). "11,000 Gamers Check Out Online Wedding". Archived from the original on 11 February 2009. Retrieved 5 February 2009.
- "AdventureQuest Worlds Reaches 10 Million Players in First 10 Months". 25 August 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- "AdventureQuest Worlds Reaches 6 Million Players". IGN. 19 May 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- "AdventureQuest Worlds Hits 9 Million Players". IGN. 16 July 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- "Artix Entertainment Announces April 15th Musical Event in AdventureQuest Worlds – Web Games News at IGN". Pc.ign.com. 2011-04-13. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "Artix Entertainment Releases Witty George Lowe Bites App for Android and iPhone – Wireless News at IGN". Wireless.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "AdventureQuest Worlds: Chaos Lord Live Event with Musical Guest One-Eyed Doll – Web Games News at IGN". Pc.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "AdventureQuest Worlds Premieres Music Video and War for Halloween – Web Games News at IGN". Au.pc.ign.com. 2010-10-29. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "AdventureQuest Worlds Celebrates Most Successful Friday the 13th Event – Web Games News at IGN". Au.pc.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "AdventureQuest Worlds teams with Web comic Ctrl+Alt+Del – Web Games News at IGN". Pc.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "AdventureQuest Worlds Gets Main Storyline". IGN. 13 February 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- Carolyn Koh. "AdventureQuest Worlds Review". MMORPG.com.
- Mike Fahey (5 July 2011). "Death Is the Perfect Time for In-Game Advertising". Kotaku. Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- Pete Davison (5 July 2011). "AdventureQuest Worlds Punishes Death with Advertising". GamePro. Archived from the original on 2011-12-01. Retrieved 10 August 2011.