Adventure running is the sport of running over a variety of surfaces (dirt, road, mountain, sand), generally over long distances, where the racer has to overcome nature. Challenges include river crossing, scrambling, snow, extreme high or low temperatures, and high altitudes.
Whist the origins of Adventure Running involved a non-competitive personal challenge, Adventure Running races are growing in number. The dontgetlost.ca Adventure Running series in Ontario has been running for over a decade. It is the oldest and largest series of Adventure Running races in North America.
Examples of adventure running events include:
- Leor Pantilat's Adventure Running
- RUNTHEPLANET•fr adventure running around the world
- dontgetlost.ca Adventure Running race series
- Trail Runner Magazine Adventure Running
- Costa Rica The Coastal Challenge
- Inca Trail,Machu Picchu,Perú,Patagonia,Ecuador Adventure Running
- Run New Zealand
- Great Places, Incredible Races: A Guide to 100+ Races Worldwide
- ULTRAmarathonRunning.com Global Ultramarathon Races & Events Calendar
- Mayan Running Adventure Adventure Running at Guatemala's beautiful Lake Atitlan
- INT Run 1 and 2 Israel National Trail Run by Richard Bowles (2013) and Carlos Goldberg (2014)