Advertising Standards Authority (South Africa)
|Purpose||Manage South Africa's voluntary, self-regulating system of advertising|
The Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa, (abbreviated ASA) is an independent entity organized and financed by members of the marketing communications industry of South Africa. Its purpose is to manage South Africa's voluntary, self-regulating system of advertising. The ASA works with a variety of marketing communication industry stakeholders to ensure that advertising content in the country meets the requirements of its Code of Advertising Practice and to control advertising content in the South African public's interest. The ASA of South Africa's Code of Advertising Practice is based on the International Code of Advertising Practice prepared by the International Chamber of Commerce. Member organizations, including advertisers, advertising agencies, and the media agree upon advertising standards in the ASA code and work to effect the swift correction or removal of any advertising that fails to meet their agreed-upon standards.
Member organisations include:
- Association for Communication and Advertising
- Association of Collective Investments (ACI)
- Cinemark (Pty) Ltd
- Cosmetic Toiletry & Fragrance Association of South Africa
- Furniture Traders' Association of South Africa
- Health Products Association of Southern Africa
- Hospital Association of South Africa
- Industry Association for Responsible Alcohol Use
- National Association of Broadcasters of South Africa
- Out of Home Media
- Pet Food Institute of Southern Africa, The
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturers' Association of South Africa
- Print Media SA
- Printing Industries Federation of South Africa
- Retail Motor Industry Organisation
- South African Optometric Association
- Timeshare Institute of Southern Africa
- In 2008 ASA ruled that a television advertisement by GloMobile featuring Jeff Dunham's character Achmed the Dead Terrorist was offensive to Muslims and ordered GloMobile to withdraw the advertisement.
- Watchdogs:Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa, retrieved 2010-07-05
- Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa: About us, retrieved 2010-07-05
- Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa: Code of Practice, retrieved 2010-07-05
- Joshua Rhett, Joshua Rhett (2008-08-02). "Comedian Defends 'Achmed the Dead Terrorist' Puppet Routine Against South African Ban". Fox News Channel. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- "Dead terrorist ad banned". South African Press Association. 2008-10-06. Retrieved 4 August 2010.