Aegisub demonstrating visual typesetting and karaoke features
|Developer(s)||Niels Martin Hansen, Rodrigo Braz Monteiro|
|Stable release||3.1.3 / April 6, 2014|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and FreeBSD|
|Available in||English, Czech, German, Spanish, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Japanese, Catalan, Brazilian Portuguese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Russian and Serbian|
|License||3-clause BSD License|
Aegisub // is a free open-source cross-platform subtitle editing program. It is extensively used in fansubbing, the practice of creating or translating unofficial, noncommercial subtitles for visual media by fans. It is the successor of the original SubStation Alpha and Sabbu.
It has been designed for timing and styling of subtitles, as well as the creation of karaoke. Aegisub's native subtitle format is Advanced SubStation Alpha text, which supports subtitle positioning and styling. The program also supports other common formats such as SubRip. Features include support for timing to both audio and video, and can use many video processing bindings to process those, such as FFmpeg and Avisynth. It can also be extended with the Lua, Perl and Ruby scripting languages.
In fansubbing terms, Aegisub is used for translating, timing, editing, typesetting, quality checking, karaoke timing and karaoke effecting. Although, many groups use different tools for some of those steps, such as Adobe After Effects for typesetting, or a simple text editor for translation.
- Zac Bertschy (March 11, 2008). Interview with the Fansubber. AnimeNewsNetwork.com. Retrieved 2010-08-19. "The program we typically used for that was called SubStation Alpha, but the software we've been using is called AegiSub, which is a full life-cycle subtitling package." Retrieved on 2009-01-24.
- Fansubbing for Dummies. Srsfkn.biz. October 13, 2008. "Currently the best program for subtitling assistance. If you're looking to get into fansubbing, I recommend that you download AegiSub [...]" Retrieved 2010-08-19.
- Aegisub Manual. Cellosoft.com. Retrieved 2010-08-19.
Media related to Aegisub at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Aegisub wiki at Fansubbers.org (under construction at the moment)
- Aegisub IRC channel on Rizon.net
|This multimedia software-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This translation article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|