AeroUnion Flight 302
XA-TUE seen at LAX in September 2007
|Date||13 April 2010|
|Fatalities||5 + 2 on ground|
|Aircraft type||Airbus A300B4-203F|
|Flight origin||Mexico City International Airport, Mexico City, Mexico|
|1st stopover||Monterrey, Mexico|
|Destination||Los Angeles, United States|
AeroUnion Flight 302, operated by an Airbus A300B4-203F cargo aircraft, crashed in poor weather on final approach at General Mariano Escobedo International Airport, Monterrey, Mexico around 23:18 CDT on 13 April 2010, after a flight from Mexico City. All five persons on board were killed, as well as two on the ground.
The aircraft involved was built in 1979 and after service with a number of operators was leased to Aerounión – Aerotransporte de Carga Unión in April 2002 and registered as XA-TUE. At the time of the accident, the aircraft had flown for 55,200 hours and made 27,600 landings.
At about 23:18 local time on 13 April (04:18 UTC on 14 April), AeroUnion Flight 302 executed a missed approach after a landing attempt and crashed The Airbus A300B4-203F was on a scheduled international freight service from Mexico City International Airport via General Mariano Escobedo International Airport, Monterrey, to Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles. The crew had been cleared to land the aircraft on runway 11 at Mariano Escobedo Airport, but it crashed onto the Avenida Miguel Alemán motorway, almost 2 km short of the runway threshold. It struck a car, killing the driver. The airplane broke up and burst into flames.
There was a storm that caused windshear and heavy rain, with a ceiling varying between 500 and 800 feet. The METAR in force at the time of the accident stated visibility of 7 miles with light rain. Cloud cover was "broken" at 2,500 ft, overcast at 5,000. with intra-cloud lightning observed.
The Direction General of Civil Aeronautics of the Ministry of Communications and Transportation of Mexico opened an investigation into the accident. Assistance was provided by Airbus, the aircraft's manufacturer; and by France's aircraft accident investigation body, the Bureau d'Enquêtes et d'Analyses pour la Sécurité de l'Aviation Civile.
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- "Investigators retrieve flight recorders from crashed A300F". www.flightglobal.com. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- "Media Information on Aero Union Cargo flight 302". Airbus. Archived from the original on 19 April 2010. Retrieved 15 April 2010.[dead link]
- "Recuperan caja negra tras avionazo en Monterrey.". Frontera.Info. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "Accident to Flight 302 on 13 April 2010 A 300-B4, registered XA-TUE." Bureau d'Enquêtes et d'Analyses pour la Sécurité de l'Aviation Civile
- "AERO UNION CARGO FLIGHT 302 ACCIDENT NEAR MONTERREY MEXICO." Airbus
- Secretariat of Communications and Transportation of Mexico