||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
||This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (January 2013)
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)
Aerophilately is the branch of philately that specializes in the study of airmail. Philatelists have observed the development of mail transport by air from its beginning, and all aspects of airmail service have been extensively studied and documented by specialists.
The scope of aerophilately includes:
While most of the study of airmail assumes transport by fixed-wing aircraft, the fields of balloon mail, dirigible mail, zeppelin mail, missile mail, and rocket mail are active subspecialties. Astrophilately, the study of mail in space, is a related area.
International Federation of Aerophilatelic Societies, (FISA), is the umbrella organization for aerophilately though aerophilatelists have formed a number of organizations around the world; many of them put out a variety of specialized publications. Federation Internationale de Philatelie (FIP) also maintains a commission.
See also 
Further reading 
- Richard McP. Cabeen, Standard Handbook of Stamp Collecting (Collectors Club, 1979), pp. 207–221
- Cheryl Ganz, ed. Collecting Air Mail (American Air Mail Society)
- American Air Mail Catalogue (AAMS, 6th ed. 1998)
- Baldwin, N.C. (1947). British Air Mails 1784-1946. Sutton Coldfield, UK): Francis J. Field Ltd.
- William Victor Kriebel, A History of the Development of Air Mail Service in Brazil (AAMS)
- William J. Murphy, Irish Airmail 1919-1990 (Irish Airmail Society, 1996)
- Örjan, Lüning (1978). Luftpostens historia i Norden - The history of airmail in Scandinavia. Stockholm: Sveriges Filatelist-Forbund.
- Kronstein, Dr. Max (1978). Pioneer Airpost Flights of The World 1830-1935. Washington D. C.: American Air Mail Society.
- Thomassen, Egil H. (1998). Norwegian Air Mail. Oslo: Norsk Filatelistforbund. ISBN 82-90272-69-3.
- Newall, Alexander S. (1985). British External Air Mails until 1934. London: Kingfisher Press. ISBN 0-9510749-0-3.
- Proud, Edward B. (1991). The Postal History of British Airmails. Heathfield, East Sussex: Proud-Bailey Co. Ltd. ISBN 1-872465-72-2.
External links