Aeroport railway station (El Prat de Llobregat)
Rodalies de Catalunya commuter rail station
View of one of the station's platforms
|Address||Carrer de Salvador Hedilla
08820 El Prat de Llobregat
|Line(s)||Aeroport–El Prat de Llobregat (PK 0)|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Parking||Several airport parking garages serving Terminal T2 are located nearby.|
Aeroport ("Airport") is a Rodalies de Catalunya commuter railway station serving Barcelona–El Prat Airport in Catalonia, Spain. It is located in the municipality of El Prat de Llobregat, and is the terminus of Barcelona commuter rail line R2 Nord.
The station is located adjacent to the airport's terminal 2B, to which it is connected by an elevated walkway. Terminals 2A and 2C can be accessed through terminal 2B, although terminal 2A is currently closed. The more recent, and busier, terminal 1 is about 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) away and passengers need to use a free shuttle bus between the terminal and the railway station.
The airport railway station, and connecting branch, were opened in 1975. The station was sited in order to serve what was, at that time, the airport's main terminal, now known as terminal 2B.
The station is served by Rodalies de Catalunya's Barcelona commuter rail line R2 Nord. Services run from Maçanet-Massanes or Sant Celoni stations, with major stops in Barcelona at Passeig de Gràcia (north of Plaça de Catalunya) and Barcelona Sants (Barcelona's main station for long distance trains). The trains access the airport via a single track branch.
Throughout the day, there are two arrivals and two departures per hour. The journey time between the airport and central Barcelona is approximately 20 minutes.
With completion of Terminal 1, two new underground stations, on Barcelona Metro line 9, and two new suburban railway stations were intended to better serve both of the airport terminals. Due to budget cutbacks and planning shortfalls, these stations have been delayed several times. The original completion date of 2008 has since been deferred and no new date is available at present.
The effect of these projects on the current station are not yet known.
- "Listado de líneas y estaciones" [List of railway lines and stations] (PDF) (in Spanish). Ministry of Public Works and Transport, Government of Spain. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "AENA Barcelona Transport between Terminals". AENA. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Aeroport" (in Catalan). trenscat.com. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "RENFE Cercanias Barcelona online timetable". RENFE. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "PTVC Transport Passengers Plan of Catalonia" (in Catalan). Government of Catalonia. Retrieved 15 March 2009.
- Media related to Aeroport railway station (El Prat de Llobregat) at Wikimedia Commons
- Aeroport listing at Rodalies de Catalunya website
- Information and photos of the station at Trenscat.com (Catalan)
|This article about a railway station in Catalonia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|