|Promotion||Affliction Clothing and Adrenaline MMA|
|Date||July 19, 2008|
|City||Anaheim, California, USA|
|Attendance||14,832 (11,242 paid)|
Affliction: Banned was a mixed martial arts event co-promoted by Affliction Clothing and Adrenaline MMA. It took place on July 19, 2008 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. The card at Banned featured many of the top MMA heavyweight fighters.
The main event was the return of PRIDE World Heavyweight Championship Fedor Emelianenko fighting against former two-time UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia. Emelianenko submitted Sylvia thirty-six seconds into the first round to win in convincing fashion.
After the fight, Randy Couture entered the ring and Emelianenko expressed his desire to fight Couture next. The event saw victories by former UFC Heavyweight Champions Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett, with Barnett avenging an earlier loss to Pedro Rizzo, and by former UFC Light-heavyweight Champion Vitor Belfort. Former UFC standout Matt Lindland and former Pride FC standout Antonio Rogerio Nogueira won.
The one hour undercard was broadcast on Fox Sports Network and The Fight Network while the main fight card was broadcast live on pay-per-view. The UFC scheduled UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Irvin on Spike TV at the same time as the Affliction event in an attempt to diminish the PPV audience for Banned.
|Heavyweight||Fedor Emelianenko||def||Tim Sylvia||Submission (rear naked choke)||1||0:36|
|Heavyweight||Andrei Arlovski||def||Ben Rothwell||KO (punches)||3||1:13|
|Heavyweight||Josh Barnett||def||Pedro Rizzo||KO (punch)||2||1:44|
|Light heavyweight||Renato Sobral||def||Mike Whitehead||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Matt Lindland||def||Fabio Negao||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Mark Hominick||def||Savant Young||Submission (armbar)||2||4:25|
|Heavyweight||Paul Buentello||def||Gary Goodridge||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Light heavyweight||Antonio Rogerio Nogueira||def||Edwin Dewees||TKO (punches)||1||4:06|
|Middleweight||Vitor Belfort||def||Terry Martin||KO (punches)||2||3:12|
|Welterweight||Mike Pyle||def||J.J. Ambrose||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||2:55|
Matt Lindland ($300,000/$225,000 for show and $75,000 win bonus) def. Fabio Negao ($20,000)
Swing Bout (Canceled): Ray Lizama ($3,000) vs. Justin Levens ($6,000)
Total Base Pay: $2,866,000
Total Bonuses: $455,000
Total Payroll: $3,321,000
- Vernon White, who was originally scheduled to face Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, was removed from the card after testing positive for a banned substance following a May bout. Edwin Dewees was announced as a replacement.
- Aleksander Emelianenko, who was originally scheduled to face Paul Buentello, was removed from the card at the last minute after Emelianenko “didn’t meet CSAC licensing standards”. Gary Goodridge was announced as a replacement.
- One swing bout between Justin Levens and Ray Lazama was set to take place after the main event, but the amount of time left and the ring condition prevented it.
- "Affliction Banned - July 19th". Affliction:Banned event website. Affliction Entertainment. Archived from the original on 28 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia Set To Be A Title Match". 411mania.com. June 14, 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- Jake Rossen (July 14, 2008). "Affliction vs. UFC, Round 1". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "CSAC: Sylvia, Arlovski Lead Affliction Paydays". Sherdog.com. July 22, 2008. Archived from the original on 23 July 2008. Retrieved July 22, 2008.
- "Affliction Banned - 22 May 2008: 'LA Press Conference All Star Cast, Press Conference In NYC Thursday - Open To Public'". Boutreviewusa.com. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- Rossen, Jake (July 21, 2008). "Minute by Minute: UFC Fight Night & Affliction". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- Tom Hamlin. "Tiger White off Affliction card". Mmaweekly.com. Archived from the original on 29 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "Affliction Banned - How to watch". Affliction:Banned event website. Affliction Entertainment. Archived from the original on 18 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "Aleks Emelianenko Out, Big Daddy In for Affliction". Cagepotato.com. July 18, 2008. Archived from the original on 21 November 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "Affliction Banned results & live play-by-play". Mmaweekly.com. July 19, 2008. Archived from the original on 29 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-26.