|Type||Irish Limited Company|
|Industry||Internet, Domain registry|
|Founded||2000 in Dublin, Ireland|
|Key people||Hal Lubsen, Ram Mohan, Roland LaPlante, Philipp Grabensee, Ken Stubbs, Jonathan Robinson, Steve Heflin, Scott Hemphill, Steven Pack, John Kane|
Afilias Limited is the registry operator of the .info, .mobi and .pro top-level domain, and service provider for registry operators of .org, .asia, .aero, and a provider of domain name registry services for countries around the world, including .MN (Mongolia), .AG (Antigua and Barbuda), .BZ (Belize), .GI (Gibraltar), .IN (India), .ME (Montenegro), .SC (the Seychelles), and .VC (St. Vincent and the Grenadines). Afilias also provided ancillary support to other domains, including .SG (Singapore) and .HN (Honduras).
Afilias was formed in September 2000 by a group of domain name registrars in recognition of the need for increased competition in the domain name industry at the registry level. Afilias was selected by ICANN in November 2000 to launch .info, the first new generic Top Level Domain supported by Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP) and based on a "thick" registry model. Afilias CEO Hal Lubsen hired Ram Mohan as the CTO, Roland LaPlante as the CMO and Steven Pack as the Compliance Officer for the company in 2001.
In February 2010 Afilias acquired mTLD Top Level Domain Ltd., the sponsoring organization and registry operator for the .mobi top-level domain (known publicly as dotMobi). While dotMobi continues to operate as a wholly owned subsidiary, Afilias is now the registered Registry Operator for the .mobi domain.
In December 2012, Afilias acquired registryPro, the sponsoring organization and registry operator for the .pro top-level domain. While RegistryPro continues to operate as a wholly owned subsidiary, Afilias is now the registered Registry Operator for the .pro domain.
Afilias is a DNS registry, and provides DNS service to the domains, listed below.
Registry Service Provider
- Portal, Presse (October 3, 2000). "World´s Leading Internet Domain Name Registrars Unite to Create Top Level Domain With Global Appeal". Press Relations Presse Portal. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- "North America Leads .INFO Distribution". Afilias.
- questia.com (October 29, 2001). "Afilias Appoints Chief Technical Officer to Run First "Thick" Domain Name Registry: .INFO; Former Infonautics executive oversees first global implementation of an XML-based "thick" registry system". The Free Library. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- questia.com (July 9, 2001). "Afilias Appoints New Chief Marketing Officer to Build .INFO Brand Worldwide; Former McGraw Hill Exec. to Spearhead Brand & Marketing Strategy for .INFO". The Free Library. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- "ICANN Registries". Dot and Co.
- "Plumbing the Internet with PostgreSQL: An Open Source Case Study". Open Source Business Resource.
- Hamilton, David (February 11, 2010). "Afilias Acquires .Mobi Domain Registry dotMobi". Web Host Industry Review. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- LaPlante, Roland (January 17, 2012). "Afilias Acquires Registry Services Corporation, .PRO". Circle ID. Retrieved January 21, 2014.