|Parent||AfreecaTV Co., Ltd. (2011-)
|Alexa rank||3,090 (April 2014[update])|
|Type of site||Video hosting service, Video streaming service|
AfreecaTV (that means 'Any FREE broadCasting') is a video streaming service, based on P2P technology, owned and operated by AfreecaTV Co., Ltd. in South Korea after Nowcom's AfreecaTV Co.,Ltd-ZettaMedia split in 2011.
Initially started from W beta services and officially performed by the name of “AFREECA” in 9th Mar 2006.
The site mainly retransmits TV channels, but also allows users to upload their own videos and shows.
The functions for Broadcasting, watching, channel lists and chatting etc. are provided. Users are required to install 'Afreeca players' with the way of grid delivery.
Broadcaster called BJ(Broadcasting Jockey) delivers a live broadcast to viewers, then they can select their favorite channel from Afreeca players tool.
A channel can be acceptable from 50 at least to 500 viewers at the same time. Using the chargeable item of Quick view or to watch the relay channel in conjunction with the original channel, they can avoid the limitation of the number of occupations.
TV broadcast, not only for games, also taxi drivers, singer, actress and professional broadcasters are showing their daily life. No matter what age or jobs Broadcasters have, the contents they created are unlimited.
The head of Afreeca's parent company Nowcom, Mun Yong-sik, was arrested in 2008 for illegally distributing pirated films. Some alleged the arrest was politically motivated due to Afreeca being used by protesters to coordinate.
In 27 September 2012, afreecaTV English version released at google play store.
- Users can broadcast live from PC monitor's screen and sound without hardware equipment
- New media to communicate with viewers in real time and express personal opinions and feelings
- BJs broadcast either for showing themselves or sharing their monitor screen from the functions of live camera provided by Afreeca studio.
- Being able to deliver a movie with direct input using the capture board
- By using AfreecaTV mobile application, users can easily broadcast and share their broadcast with Twitter, Facebook etc.
- Afreeca Mobile player for iOS was developed and launched at the same time as iPhone releasing in 2009.
- In June 2010, the functions of broadcast and view were added to be able to use easily.
- The version for Android was released in Oct.2010 and added the broadcasting function in Feb.2011.
- Both of versions for iOS and Android are available on the Mobile now.
- By donating at least one Star balloon item, viewers become BJ’s fan club.
- Some BJs are popular as a celebrity. When they broadcast, tens of thousands viewers watch their show. BJ’s fan club members are trying to gain distance on their idol BJ by giving fan art, item, etc.
- BJ can appoint their ‘broadcast managers’ from his/her fan club members so that they help to manage the chat room or BJ’s channel page.
- Star balloon (exchangeable to cash) : A present/donation item that viewers give BJs to express their appreciation
- Quick View : Skip advertisements and admission to enter full crowded channels
- Sticker(exchangeable for additional functions) : A present that viewers give BJs. BJs use stickers for broadcast option (bitrate, max viewer etc.)
The blogger talk session with Seoul Mayor Park was broadcast live online and via mobile on Afreeca TV. He heard the expectations and wished of members of the public expressed online as well as the opinions of bloggers specializing in different areas during the talk session.
The bloggers addressed the problems facing Seoul and propose solutions in their area of expertise, while also exchanging ideas with Mayor Park in an in-depth discussion on Seoul government administration.
It has become a major trend for everyone to freely express their opinions on all manner of subjects including politics, economics, childcare, and education on their SNS, so the Seoul Metropolitan Government is making concerted efforts to communicate with citizens.
How to Use
- Afreeca Guide : http://solit2de.blogspot.kr/2009/08/afreeca-guide.html
- "Afreeca.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Nowcom Will Create "ZettaMedia" for Web Storage Business". Digital Daily. 2011-05-13. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- Limb Jae-un (24 October 2006). "Online broadcasters share their passion with viewers". Joongang Daily. Retrieved 22 September 2009.
- "Sung Yuri Appears on Afreeca TV". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 2011-09-25. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Jung Hyo-sik, Lee Min-a (18 June 2008). "Afreeca head accused of pirating". Joongang Daily. Retrieved 22 September 2009.
- "Seoul City meetings open to public". koreaherald.com. 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2012-07-05.