|248,605 (by country of birth, 2006) 2.2% of Australia's Population (by ancestry, 2006)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|All capital cities
predominately Melbourne, Sydney and Perth
|Related ethnic groups|
African Australians are Australian citizens and residents born in, or with ancestors from Africa. Immigration from Africa to Australia is only a recent phenomenon, with Europe and Asia traditionally being the largest sources of migration to Australia. In 2005-06 permanent settler arrivals to Australia included 4,000 South Africans and 3,800 Sudanese, constituting the sixth and seventh largest sources of migrants respectively.
There is no clear definition of what constitutes being an "African Australian". The Australian Bureau of Statistics records people according to their birthplace and their self-described ancestry, although aggregated data for Africa is split between "Sub-Saharan" and "North Africa.
African immigrants to Australia include people of diverse cultural, linguistic, racial, religious, educational, and employment backgrounds. However, immigration from Africa to Australia remained limited until the 1990s.
Most African immigrants in Australia come from South Africa and are largely of Afrikaner and British descent. Other South Africans emigrate courtesy of skilled migration programs. Opportunities in Australia, as well as push factors such as rising crime, unemployment and complications arising from the Black Economic Empowerment policies in their home country, have prompted many South Africans to migrate. Earlier, Australia had taken in Zimbabwe migrants who left under following the end of white minority rule.
Recent conflicts in various parts of Africa, particularly around the Horn of Africa, have prompted people to migrate through humanitarian programs.
At the 2006 Census, 248,605 residents declared that they were born in Africa.
|Country||Population||Main city and proportion who live there|
|South Africa||104,128||Sydney (27.3%)|
See also 
- African European
- Egyptian Australian
- Ethiopian Australian
- South African Australian
- Sudanese Australian
- Zimbabwean Australian
- 20680-Country of Birth of Person (full classification list) by Sex - Australia (2006)
- Australian Year Book 2008
- "African resettlement in Australia: Conference report" (pdf (6.2MB 76 pages)). African Think Tank Inc. April 2007. Archived from the original on 19 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-26.
- Cubes&6A3757E70A332F03CA25741700117EA1&0&2006-07&26.03.2008&Latest ABS 3412.0 Permanent arrivals, Country of birth, 1975-76 to 2006-07
- Fisher, C. (2009). "The exploration of the nature and understanding of family violence within Sudanese, Somalian, Ethiopian, Liberian and Sierra Leonean communities and its impact on individuals, family relations, the community and settlement". ASeTTS.
- AfricanOz - Africa Australia Online Resource
- Africa to Australia - Videos and articles documenting the African migrant and refugee experience within Australia.
- Sudanese Stories - An oral history project recording the migration journeys and settlement experiences of southern Sudanese refugees now living in Blacktown, Western Sydney.