Afrojack in 2011
|Birth name||Nick Van de Wall|
9 September 1987 |
|Genres||Dance, electro house|
|Occupation(s)||DJ, producer, remixer|
|Labels||Spinnin, Wall Recordings, Island, Def Jam|
|Associated acts||The Partysquad, Eva Simons, Quintino, Pitbull, Steve Aoki, Nervo, Chris Brown, Snoop Dogg, Martin Garrix, David Guetta|
Nick van de Wall (born 9 September 1987), commonly known by his stage name Afrojack, is a Dutch music producer and DJ. In 2014 he released his debut album Forget the World. Afrojack regularly featured in top 10 of DJ Mag Top 100 DJ's.
He was born and raised in Spijkenisse, Netherlands, and developed an interest in music at an early age and learned to play the piano at the age of five. From a single-parent household, his mother Debbie owned a local gym. After leaving school, Van de Wall studied graphic design for a year before embarking on a career as DJ/producer.
At the age of 14, Van de Wall started DJ'ing at local pubs and clubs and earning additional income with designing websites for fellow musicians. In 2007 he released In Your Face, the first recording under the Afrojack name. He received international success with the song 'Take Over Control' featuring Eva Simons, which charted in 10 different countries.
His 2010 entry into the poll at number 19 was the highest new entry of that year's list. Afrojack was listed as number 7 on the DJ Mag Top 100 DJ's of 2011. He ranked at number 9 on DJ Mag's Top 100 DJ's of 2012. In 2013, he ranked at number 9 again.
In July 2010, Afrojack created an Essential Mix for BBC Radio 1. He released the Lost & Found EP in December 22, 2010. In 2011, he was featured on Pitbull's number 1 hit single "Give Me Everything" along with Ne-Yo and Nayer. He also contributed to the single "Run the World (Girls)" by Beyoncé. In January 2012 Afrojack received an European Border Breakers Award. Afrojack's newest single The Spark featuring Spree Wilson has so far hit number 3 in Australia and New Zealand, and top 10 in over 7 more countries. In 2013, Afrojack was the 7th highest-earning DJ in the world, according to Forbes magazine.
In 2011, Afrojack co-produced music with many artists including David Guetta, Mike Brown and Madonna. In 2012, he was a headlining at a number of electronic dance music festivals, including Tomorrowland (Belgium), Ultra Music Festival (Miami, Florida), Coachella (Los Angeles), Electric Daisy Carnival (New York City, Las Vegas).
- Forget the World (2014)
- Lost & Found (2010)
- Lost & Found 2 (2011)
- It's a Matter Of... (2013)
- Harris, Christopher (7 May 2013). "Afrojack's Driver License Jacked By Police, AFROKI Still On Track". Vibe. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- Ortiz, Edwin (7 October 2013). "Listen: Paris Hilton f/ Lil Wayne "Good Time"". Complex. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
The song is produced by electro house artist Afrojack
- Pollock, Matt. "Afrojack North Coast August 31". Chicago Innerview. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- RA: Afrojack. Residentadvisor.net. Retrieved on 2011-01-06.
- Top 100 DJs 2013 search. DJ Mag. Retrieved on 2013-10-20.
- Afrojack Discography at Discogs. Discogs.com. Retrieved on 2011-01-06.
- van Rossum, Maarten (19 February 2013). "Interview: Afrojack". Maarten! (in Dutch).
- "Afrojack Bio, Music, News & Shows". DJZ.com. Retrieved March 6, 2013.
- Music Interview: DJ Afrojack. Yorkshire Evening Post. Retrieved on 2011-01-06.
- Top 100 DJs 2011 search. DJ Mag. Retrieved on 2011-01-06.
- Top 100 DJs 2012 search. DJ Mag. Retrieved on 2013-01-06.
- Radio 1 Programmes – BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix, Afrojack. BBC (2010-07-10). Retrieved on 2011-01-06.
- IMO Records. "Afrojack Biography", IMO Records, London, Retrieved on 25 January 2012.
- "Dutch dj Afrojack wins EBBA", Sica.nl. Retrieved October 7, 2011
- "Forbes Highest Paid DJs".
- "Wall Recordings".
- Metacritic score of 49, (accessed 19 November 2014).
- Steinman, Alex (May 30, 2012). "Paris Hilton dumped by DJ Afrojack". NY Daily News.
- Coulehan, Erin (October 9, 2013). "'March of the Afrojack' Includes Time to Reflect". Rolling Stone.