|Owned by||Soundview Africa|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Slogan||Your Premier in Afro-centric Home Entertainment|
|Broadcast area||NY metro area|
|Headquarters||New York, NY, United States (also has office in Orlando, Fl)|
|Dish Network||Channel 9859
|Bell Fibe TV (Canada)||Channel 662
Afrotainment is the first and only TV channel in North America broadcasting African movies and TV Series from Nollywood (the Nigerian film industry) and other major African motion picture houses. Afrotainment is also broadcasting African soccer games from the Confederation of African Football (CAF Champions League, CAF Confederation Cup, CAF African Nation Championship, CAF Youth Championship. Afrotainment is owned by Soundview Africa and is currently available via Cablevision and Dish Network.
Afrotainment was created by a team headed by Yves Bollanga, one of the founders of 3A Telesud, a French Pan-African channel. It is owned by Soundview Africa, a production company from Africa that creates Afrocentric content. Soundview Africa produced Ya Ma'Afrika, a drama series that revolves around the lives of four African women living in Brooklyn, New York, and highlights the cultural experiences, contradictions, and challenges of Africans living in the West.
Afrotainment Launched its first channel on Cable on October 13, 2011. The Channel, called Afrotainment Plus, is the best of all Afrotainment programming, which includes African movies, Series, reality shows, talk shows, and highly coveted African soccer. Afrotainment Plus is available on IO Africa offering on Channel 1101
Afrotainment airs films from African producers and directors, as well as African TV series such as Dear Mother, Rough Edges, Cyberia, Family Ties and Ya Ma’Afrika, Tinsel, Dr Quarters, League of Glory, The Coconuts, Face of Africa, Idols Africa, Stand Up Zambia and Uganda, Catwalk Kenya and studio 53. Afrotainment is also producing from Orlando, Florida the following shows: Point of View, a daytime woman talk show; Afrotainers an African Entertainment News show, Afrohits Top 10, a chart of the Top10 best African Music videos of the week and the Samy Priso show, an African late night comedy show. As per African soccer, Afrotainment is broadcasting CAF Champions League, CAF Confederation Cup, CAF African Nation Championship, CAF Youth Championship
Soundview Africa currently owns and operates the following 5 TV channels:
- Afrotainment - Afro-centric general entertainment service, broadcasting in High-definition; programming includes TV series, films, talk shows and reality series.
- Afrotainment Plus - Cable centric service featuring the best programming from Afrotainment & Afrotainment Music.
- Afrotainment Music - Afro-centric music service featuring music from the African continent. Programming includes music videos, live performances and entertainment programs.
- Africa Box Office (ABO) - Afro-centric movie service featuring the best in film from the African continent. It airs over 100 new movies every year from Nollywood and other movie houses throughout Africa.
- TV Naija - General entertainment service aimed at Nigerian community, airs TV series & music from Nigeria.
Every September the cream of the African music industry gathers at an Afro-glam red carpet event at the Afrotainment Studio in New York to recognise African talent as award winners are announced and celebrated. The Afrotainment Museke Online Africa Music Awards is multicasted Live on the Afrotainment family of channels nationwide in the US and also viewable online.
- Meet Yves Bollanga, The Man Televising African Home Entertainment in the USA
- Afrotainment launches 4 channels on Bell Canada