12 February 1988 |
Longsight, Manchester, England
|Alma mater||Xaverian College|
|Known for||Padma Patil in Harry Potter film series|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Parents||Abdul Azad (father)|
|Relatives||Ashraf Azad (brother)|
Azad was born in Longsight, Manchester, England. She is of Bangladeshi descent. She attended Whalley Range High School, and then studied AS-level Chemistry, Biology, English and Business Studies at Xaverian College in Rusholme.
Azad is known for her performances as Padma Patil in five of the Harry Potter films, starting with 2005's Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Azad earned the part when casting agents visited her school, and after having attended several auditions, chose her for the part. Azad had stated that she had auditioned "just for the fun on it" and surprisingly got the part. She has also told the press that her best friends on set of Harry Potter were Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley), Katie Leung (Cho Chang), Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood) and Scarlet Byrne (Pansy Parkinson). She and Shefali Chowdhury, who plays the character of Azad's twin sister were also good friends.
Assault court case
On 29 June 2010, Azad's father (Abdul Azad) and brother (Ashraf Azad) appeared in Manchester Magistrates' Court, charged with threatening to kill her. Azad's father and brother attacked her because of her relationship with a non-Muslim man (who was Hindu). They were released on bail. The brother of the actress was also charged with "assault occasioning actual bodily harm." Afshan is apparently staying with her friends in London.
Azad did not attend court on 20 December 2010, when the prosecution accepted her brother's guilty plea to assault occasioning actual bodily harm. A judge ruled both men were not guilty of threatening to kill the actress. On 21 January 2011, Azad's brother was imprisoned for 6 months.
|2005||Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire||Padma Patil|
|2007||Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix||Also provided voice for video game|
|2009||Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince|
|2010||Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1|
|2011||Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2|
- Halle, Deborah (13 February 2006). "Student off to Hogwarts – again". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 24 June 2009.
- "NR chats to GOF's Patil twins". Newsround (BBC). 17 November 2005. Retrieved 11 February 2007.
- "Harry Potter girl's family arrested over threats". ninemsn. 13 September 2009. Archived from the original on 4 July 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- "Family 'attack' on Harry girl". London: The Sun. 1 July 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- Black, Caroline (2 July 2010). "Afshan Azad Allegedly Threatened and Assaulted by Family, Say Reports". Crimesider (London: CBS News). Archived from the original on 4 July 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- "Afshan Azad Allegedly Threatened and Assaulted by Family, Say Reports". CNN. 2 July 2010. Archived from the original on 5 July 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- "Harry Potter actress's brother admits attacking her". BBC News. 20 December 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- "Harry Potter actress's brother jailed for attacking her". BBC News. 2 July 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2010.