After the Rain (Nelson album)
|After the Rain|
|Studio album by Nelson|
|Released||June 26, 1990|
|Genre||Hard rock, glam metal|
|Producer||Marc Tanner, David Thoener|
After the Rain is the debut album of the American rock group Nelson, released by Geffen Records in 1990. The album was a commercial success, peaking at #17 on Billboard 200 and spending 64 weeks on the charts. It contained the #1 hit, "(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection" and the follow-up single, "After the Rain", which reached #6. The album was eventually certified multi-platinum by RIAA.
Writing and composition
Matthew and Gunnar Nelson decided to approach Geffen Records for a record deal. They began talks with A&R executive John Kalodner. According to Gunnar, they met with Kalodner "every month for a year", during which he filtered the songs they brought him until they had enough for an album. Most of the songs of the album were co-written with Marc Tanner, who was introduced to the band by Tom Vickers. Gunnar Nelson described the collaborating process in an interview as "magical" and praised Tanner for being "very supportive of our own instincts and our melodic sense". Tanner also produced the album.
After a year of meeting with Kalodner without being signed, Matthew and Gunnar met with him alone, against the wishes of their managers, and played an acoustic version of "(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection". Kalodner was so impressed that the band was signed the next day. As they prepared to record, Matthew and Gunnar started assembling a band. They settled on drummer Bobby Rock, Joey Cathcart, Brett Garsed, and Paul Mirkovich. Mirkovich also contributed an "Interlude" to the album.
After the Rain was recorded at Cherokee Studios in Los Angeles, and Studio B in Hollywood. According to Gunnar Nelson, they weren't "intimidated" by the process, despite being relatively new to the industry. He also credits co-writer and producer Marc Tanner for keeping them focused.
According to the Nelsons, Geffen producer John Kalodner "basically let us do our own thing". Gunnar has said that Kalodner's process of filtering songs before signing them helped them sort out their material and made it easy for them to come up with the songs for the album.
After the Rain was released in June 26, 1990 and became an instant success, peaking at #17 on the Billboard 200. It also featured some staying power, remaining in the charts for 64 weeks. The album was eventually certified multi-platinum by RIAA after selling more than 3,000,000 copies.
The first single of the album was the song "(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection". It peaked at #1 on Billboard's Hot 100. The other three singles also peaked on the charts. They were "After the Rain" (#6), "More than Ever" (#14), and "Only Time will Tell" (#28).
As a result of the success of the album, the band began a World Tour with over 300 concerts.
|1990||"Love and Affection"||Billboard Hot 100||1|
|Mainstream Rock Chart||20|
|"After The Rain"||Billboard Hot 100||6|
|Mainstream Rock Chart||39|
|1991||"More Than Ever"||Billboard Hot 100||14|
|Mainstream Rock Chart||44|
|"Only Time Will Tell"||Billboard Hot 100||28|
|1.||"(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson, Marc Tanner||3:55|
|2.||"I Can Hardly Wait"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson, Tanner||4:20|
|3.||"After the Rain"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson, Tanner, Rick Wilson||4:05|
|4.||"Tracy's Song"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson, Eric Hilliard Nelson||1:01|
|5.||"Only Time Will Tell"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson, Tanner, Greg Sutton||4:14|
|6.||"More Than Ever"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson, Tanner||3:23|
|7.||"(It's Just) Desire"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson, Tanner, Craig Stull||4:24|
|8.||"Fill You Up"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson, Tanner||4:38|
|10.||"Everywhere I Go"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson, Tanner||5:02|
|11.||"Bits and Pieces"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson, Tanner, Wilson||4:02|
|12.||"Will You Love Me?"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson, Brad Bailey||4:20|
|Japanese special edition bonus MVCG-53|
|13.||"Too Many Dreams"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson, Tanner, Wilson|
|14.||"Keep One Heart"||Matthew & Gunnar Nelson|
- Matthew Nelson - lead and back-up vocals, bass, electric, 12-string, and acoustic guitars
- Gunnar Nelson – lead and back-up vocals, rhythm, 12-string, gut and acoustic guitars, solos on "Only Time Will Tell" and "Will You Love Me?"
- Brett Garsed - all intercontinental lead guitars, rhythm, acoustic 6 and 12-strings, back-up vocals
- Paul Mirkovich - all keyboards, grand piano, strings, back-up vocals
- Bobby Rock - drums
- Joey Cathcart - additional vocals and instrumental expertise
- John Kalodner - producer
- Marc Tanner - producer
- David Thoener - producer, mixer, engineer
- David Holman - additional mixing
- Jack Benson - recording assistant at Cherokee Studios, Los Angeles, California
- Leon Grenados - recording assistant at Studio B, Hollywood, California
- Nick Els - recording assistant at Studio B, Hollywood, California
- Rick Norman - assistant mixer
- Scotty Ralston - assistant mixer
- Greg Fulginiti - mastering
- David Donnelly - mastering supervisor
- Marc Greene - pre-production
- Robert O. Ragland - synclavier arrangement on "Only Time Will Tell" and "I Can Hardly Wait"
- Stephen Klong - drums and programming
- Larry Mazer - management
- Gabrielle Raumberger - art direction and design
- Lyn Bradley - design
- Dennis Keeley and Michael Lavine - photography
- Matthew Nelson, Gunnar Nelson, and Diane Estelle - clothing image concept
- Diane Estelle - clothes design
- Gail Ananighian and Marie Blom - assistants
- Kohlene Hendrickson - symbology
- Henderson, Alex. "Allmusic review". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-09-08.
- CG: Nelson
- After the Rain on Billboard
- "RIAA certification Searchable Database". Riaa.com. Retrieved 2012-09-08.
- "Gunnar Nelson: The Nelson Interview". Melodic Rock. 2001.
- "The Popdose Interview: Gunnar Nelson". Popdose. February 11, 2011.
- [After the Rain booklet]
- "Bobby Rock Interview". Full in Bloom. Retrieved July 1, 2012.