Against the Wind (album)
|Against the Wind|
|Studio album by Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band|
|Released||February 25, 1980|
|Producer||Punch Andrews, Steve Melton,
Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, Bob Seger, Bill Szymczyk
|Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band chronology|
Against the Wind is the 11th album by American rock singer Bob Seger and his third with The Silver Bullet Band. It was released in 1980 (see 1980 in music). It is Seger's only Number 1 album to date, spending six weeks at the top of the Billboard 200, and knocking Pink Floyd's massive-selling The Wall from the top spot. The album also earned two Grammy Awards.
All songs written and composed by Bob Seger.
|1.||"The Horizontal Bop"||4:03|
|2.||"You'll Accomp'ny Me"||4:00|
|4.||"No Man's Land"||3:43|
|5.||"Long Twin Silver Line"||4:18|
|6.||"Against the Wind"||5:34|
|7.||"Good for Me"||4:03|
|8.||"Betty Lou's Gettin' Out Tonight"||2:52|
The Silver Bullet Band perform on tracks 1-3, 6 & 8
The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section perform on tracks 4, 5, 7, 9 & 10
- The Silver Bullet Band
- Bob Seger – guitar, vocals, background vocals
- Drew Abbott – guitar
- Alto Reed – horn, saxophone
- Chris Campbell – bass
- David Teegarden – percussion, drums
- The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section
- Barry Beckett – piano, keyboard
- Randy McCormick – organ, keyboard
- Pete Carr – guitar
- Jimmy Johnson – guitar, horn
- David Hood – bass
- Roger Hawkins – percussion, drums
- Additional Musicians
- Bill Payne – organ, synthesizer, piano on "You'll Accomp'ny Me"
- Dr. John – keyboard on "Horizontal Bop"
- Paul Harris – organ and piano on "Against the Wind" and piano on "Betty Lou's Getting Out Tonight"
- Doug Riley – synthesizer on "No Man's Land"
- Sam Clayton – percussion on "You'll Accomp'ny Me"
- Backing harmony vocals on "Fire Lake"
- Backing harmony vocals on "Against the Wind"
- Backing Vocals on "You'll Accomp'ny Me" "Good For Me" and "Shinin' Brightly"
- Ginger Blake
- Laura Creamer
- Linda Dillard
- Producers: Punch Andrews, Steve Melton, Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, Bob Seger, Bill Szymczyk
- Engineers: John Arrias, Steve Melton, Bill Szymczyk
- Mixing: Punch Andrews, John Arrias, Steve Melton, Muscle Shoals Sound Rhythm Section, Bob Seger, Bill Szymczyk
- Mastering: Wally Traugott
- Remastering: Robert Vosgien
- Art direction: Roy Kohara
- Photography: Tom Bert
- Paintings: Jim Warren
Album – Billboard (North America)
Singles – Billboard (North America)
|1980||"Against The Wind"||Pop Singles||5|
|1980||"Fire Lake"||Pop Singles||6|
|1980||"You'll Accomp'ny Me"||Pop Singles||14|
|1980||"The Horizontal Bop"||Pop Singles||42|
|1981||Against the Wind||Best Recording Package|
|Against the Wind||Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal|
Despite its massive success, critic Dave Marsh gave Against the Wind harsh criticism calling it "not only the worst record Bob Seger has ever made, but an absolutely cowardly one as well."
The Wall by Pink Floyd
|Billboard 200 number one album
May 3 – June 13, 1980
Glass Houses by Billy Joel
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band: Against the Wind > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- Hepworth, David. "Bob Seger: Against the Wind". Smash Hits (March 20 – April 2): 31.