||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (December 2011)|
Agdam Mosque in 2010
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Mosque|
|Architect(s)||Karbalayi Safikhan Karabakhi|
The Agdam Mosque (Azerbaijani: Ağdam məscidi, transliterated also as Aghdam Mosque) is a large mosque in Agdam, Azerbaijan. It was one of the few buildings of the town that wasn't destroyed during the Nagorno-Karabakh war
The mosque was built by the architect Karbalayi Safikhan Karabakhi from 1868 to 1870. The mosque was built in the typical style for mosques in Karabakh region, which included the division of stone columns on the two-story gallery and the use of domed ceilings. Other mosques in this style include Barda Mosque, the Govharaga Mosque in Shusha, a mosque in Fizuli and one in the village of Goradiz.
After Khojaly's invasion by Karabakh-Armenia forces on 29 February of 1992, 200 bodies were first placed in this mosque. However, according to mosque's director Seyid Sadiqov, the mosque had 477 corpses.
Among the Aghdam's residential buildings, the mosque is one of the best preserved. Azerbaijani sources, however, report that the roof and attic of the mosque have been pulled down, while windows, doors, interior finish, even the marble floor have been destroyed.
In June 2010 Andrei Galafyev, a photographer who visited the mosque in 2007, reported that "The floor in the mosque is entirely dirtied with manure of cattle, which wanders on the ruins of Agdam in daytime.” His photographs showed cattle within the mosque. This report generated criticism from Azerbaijani newspapers and a Turkish organization, who complained that the mosque is being used as a cowshed and pigpen.
In November 2010 the government of Nagorno-Karabakh informed that the mosque and its surroundings were cleaned. They also announced that the mosque of Agdam, as well as the mosques of Shusha, have been refurbished.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Agdam Mosque.|
- Radio Free Europe, Armenian Karabakh Official Says Mosques Being Repaired. November 18, 2010
- ВЛИЯНИЕ ХРИСТИАНСТВА НА АРХИТЕКТУРУ АЗЕРБАЙДЖАНА (in Russian). Bakilililar.az. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- ДОКЛАД ПРАВОЗАЩИТНОГО ЦЕНТРА «МЕМОРИАЛ» (in Russian). Memo.ru. Archived from the original on 31 July 2010. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- Goltz, Thomas. "Xocalı soyqırımı dünyanın gözü ilə". Xocalı Faciəsi (in Azerbaijani). Washington Post. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- "Exposed: Armenians turned the mosque in Azerbaijani Agdam region into a..". Today.az. Archived from the original on 26 July 2010. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- "Turks complain to Pope on vandalism in Karabakh church by Armenians". Archived from the original on 20 July 2010. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- News.am, Works on preservation of Muslim cultural heritage in Nagorno-Karabakh underway. November 17, 2010.