Age of Empires II: The Forgotten
|Age of Empires II: The Forgotten|
|Developer(s)||Skybox Labs, Forgotten Empires LLC|
|Series||Age of Empires|
|Release date(s)||November 7, 2013|
|Genre(s)||Real-time strategy expansion pack|
|Mode(s)||Single player, multiplayer over Steam|
Age of Empires II: The Forgotten (abbreviated to AoF) is the second expansion pack to the 1999 real-time strategy game Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, and the first new expansion to the game in over a decade. Exclusive to the HD Edition of the game available on Steam, The Forgotten originated as an unofficial modification for the game known as Forgotten Empires. The expansion pack is being developed by the team that created the mod with the assistance of Skybox Labs, based in Vancouver. The Forgotten introduces five new civilizations (the Italians, Indians, Slavs, Magyars, and Incas), seven new campaigns, new units, new technologies, new gameplay modes, new maps, improved AI and other tweaks to gameplay.
The Forgotten introduces various new gameplay features and tweaks, including the new game modes Capture the Relic and Treaty. Additional maps, including an expanded maximum map size that is four times bigger than the previous largest. Over 30 new technologies and 9 new units are included. Custom creations can be shared directly to the Steam Workshop. Artificial Intelligence has been improved, modeled on competitive players.
The Forgotten adds seven additional single player campaigns, which are partially based on the following historical events:
The trauma of the Hun invasion in the 4th century has shaped Alaric, the fearsome warrior king of the Goths. But can the beloved king secure a new homeland for his people in the territory of the collapsing Roman Empire?
Always hungry for glory and wealth, Sforza wanders around 15th century Italy, offering his services to the highest bidder. Will he pick the right battles or make the wrong enemy? Take the fate of the young mercenary captain in your hands.
400 years after the collapse of the Roman Empire, Italy is still up for grabs. Relive the tale of the port city Bari from the point of view of a Byzantine family, rising from the common soldiery to the nobility. Beware, for not only Bari is at stake, but also control of Southern Italy.
History forged an incredible legend around the man who ruled Wallachia in the mid-15th century. Holding his ground against the vast armies of the expanding Ottoman Empire, his cruel tactics made him the most feared man in all of Eastern Europe. Will his thirst for blood and the loyalty of his soldiers hold the Turks back for good?
Join Francisco Orellana and Gonzalo Pizarro on their quest to find El Dorado, the legendary Lost City of Gold, thought to be hidden somewhere in the vast Amazon rainforest. Will their quest along the Amazon River lead to lifelong prosperity?
As the 12th century comes to a close, India is divided between the ruling Rajput clans. One of them, the Chauhans, have just been blessed with a new king. His name is Prithviraj and his determination to unite the rival states is unprecedented. But what happens when he falls in love with the daughter of his enemy? And does he have the strength to stop a full-scale Muslim invasion from the west?
- Battles of the Forgotten:
Time has faded the names of many of the greatest leaders ever known. During their age they were famed for their fierceness on the battlefield, their just rule and their quest for power. Witness the path to glory of Richard the Lionheart, Minamoto no Yoritomo, Sultan Osman Ghazi, Khosrau and many more.
|Magyars||Eastern European 2|
New Unique Units
- Slinger (anti-infantry archer, unique to the Incas).
- Kamayuk & Elite Kamayuk (anti-cavalry infantry, unique to the Incas).
- Elephant Archer & Elite Elephant Archer (cavalry archer, unique to the Indians).
- Imperial Camel (camel upgrade, unique to the Indians).
- Genoese Crossbowman & Elite Genoese Crossbowman (anti-cavalry archer, unique to the Italians).
- Condottiero (anti-gunpowder infantry, unique to the Italians).
- Magyar Huszars & Elite Magyar Huszar (cheap cavalry unit, unique to the Magyars).
- Boyar & Elite Boyar (heavily armored cavalry, unique to the Slavs).
As in the previous installments of Age of Empires II, each new civilization has its own unique wonder.
|Inca||Temple of the Sun at Machu Picchu|
|Italian||Cathedral of Saint Lawrence|
The Forgotten introduces a total of eleven new random map types.
|Cenotes||Open rushing map (Arabia style) with a standard set of resources. Small lakes are scattered around all over the map and provide little fish.|
|City of Lakes||Semi-closed water map. Galley rushing can prove fatal on the wrong lake and fishing on the right one can mean a great boost for your economy. Rather easy to wall, but transports are possible from all sides.|
|Hideout||Players start in their little hideout camp in the forest.|
|Budapest||Players start with two town centers.|
|Steppe||Nomadic map, players start out with a few yurts and 3 extra villagers. An abundance of hunt wanders on the plains in the center of the map.|
|Valley||Semi-open map. A dried up river runs through the middle, with herds of deer trying to drink from the last puddles that run along the sandy shore.|
|Hill Fort||Fortress type map, players start on a hill together with their teammates.|
|Lombardia||Open map, players start clumped together with their teammates.|
|Acropolis||Extremely open map, players start on a hill that is impossible to wall. They must come off their hill to gather resources in the carnage below.|
|Golden Pit||Variation of Gold Rush. A pit in the center of the map contains large mining reserves. However, protecting the pit means you have to fight uphill.|
|MegaRandom||It can be anything.|
The Forgotten introduces twenty-nine new technologies to Age of Empires II: the Conquerors. These technologies can be purchased from various in-game buildings, most notably the castle, and give the player an additional bonus depending on the technology.
All of these technologies are available to more than one civilization.
All of these technologies are unique to a specific civilization.
- Andean Sling - Unique to the Incas. Skirmishers and Slingers have no minimum range.
- Atlatl - Unique to the Aztecs. Skirmishers have +1 attack and +1 range.
- Boiling Oil - Unique to the Persians. Castles do +9 extra damage vs. rams.
- Chieftains - Unique to the Vikings. Berserker get +4 attack bonus vs. cavalry.
- Chivalry - Unique to the Franks. Stables work 40% faster.
- Couriers - Unique to the Incas. Kamayuks, Slingers and Eagles are 10% faster.
- Druzhina - Unique to the Slavs. Infantry damage adjacent units.
- Great Wall - Unique to the Chinese. Walls and towers have +30% hitpoints.
- Greek Fire - Unique to the Byzantines. Fire Ships get +1 range.
- Inquisition - Unique to the Spanish. Monks convert faster.
- Ironclad - Unique to the Teutons. Siege weapons get +4 extra melee armor.
- Madrasah - Unique to the Saracens. Killed monks return 33% of their cost.
- Marauders - Unique to the Huns. Create Tarkans at Stables.
- Mercenaries - Unique to the Magyars. Magyar Huszars cost no gold.
- Nomads - Unique to the Mongols. Destroyed houses don’t lose their population room.
- Orthodoxy - Unique to the Slavs. Monks get +3 armor.
- Panokseon - Unique to the Koreans. Turtle Ships move 15% faster.
- Pavise - Unique to the Italians. Genoese Crossbowman have +1 armor.
- Recurve Bow - Unique to the Magyars. Cavalry Archers get +1 range.
- Shatagni - Unique to the Indians. Hand Cannoneers have +1 range.
- Silk Road - Unique to the Italians. Trade units cost -50%.
- Sipahi - Unique to the Turks. Cavalry Archers have +20 hitpoints.
- Stronghold - Unique to the Celts. Castles and towers fire 20% faster.
- Sultans - Unique to the Indians. All gold production goes 10% faster.
- Obsidian Arrows - Unique to the Mayans. Archer-line has +3 attack vs. buildings.
- Warwolf - Unique to the Britons. Trebuchets do blast damage.
- Yasama - Unique to the Japanese. Towers shoot extra arrows.
- "Release date for Age of Empires II: The Forgotten". ageofempiresonline. 2013-11-06.
- "Announcing Age of Empires II HD - The Forgotten". Steam. 2013-08-16. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- "Age of Empires II: The Forgotten". SkyBox Labs. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Steven Bogos (2013-08-16). "Age of Empires II Receives First Official Expansion in 14 Years". The Escapist. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- "Age of Empires II: HD Edition – New Campaign". Steam. 2014-03-04. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "AOE II HD - New Campaign & 3.5". Steam. 2014-04-24. Retrieved 2014-04-27.