Agency Lake (Oregon)
Dock on East shore of Agency Lake. Mount McLoughlin in the far left.
|Location||Klamath County, Oregon|
|Primary inflows||Wood River|
|Primary outflows||Upper Klamath Lake|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Surface area||9,000 acres (36 km2)|
|Surface elevation||4,144 feet (1,263 m)|
Agency Lake is a natural lake located west of Chiloquin in Klamath County, Oregon. It is actually the northern arm of Upper Klamath Lake, connected by a narrow channel. Its primary inflow is the Wood River, while its outflow is Upper Klamath Lake (indirectly the Link River, Upper Klamath Lake's outflow). The lake has a surface area of approximately 9,000 acres (36 km2). The lake is very shallow, and experiences high winds. U.S. Route 97 runs along the east side. Agency Lake Resort is located on the east side of the lake.
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has been working to restore 3,000 acres (12 km2) of wetland near the mouth of the Wood River since 1997. The wetlands were damaged in the 1960s and 70s when water was diverted for farmland. The BLM also plans to add walking trails and picnic areas.
Flora and fauna
Fishing is a popular activity on the lake. Six boat ramps are located on the lake. The Agency Lake Resort, located on the lake's eastern shore, features a campground with 40 campsites, marina, boat ramp, and convenience store.
Agency Lake can be accessed by boat or canoe from the marshes route off Malone Springs.
- Shewey, John (2007). Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon. Wilderness Adventures Press. p. 317. ISBN 978-1-932098-31-0. Retrieved on July 7, 2009.
- Huber, John (2008). Flyfisher's Guide to Oregon (2 ed.). Wilderness Adventures Press. p. 221. ISBN 978-1-932098-61-7. Retrieved on July 7, 2009.
- Yuskavitch, Jim; Yuskavitch, James (2008). Fishing Oregon (2 ed.). Globe Pequot. pp. 183–184. ISBN 978-0-7627-4145-8. Retrieved on July 7, 2009.
- Shewey, John (2007). On the Fly Guide to the Northwest (2 ed.). Wilderness Adventures Press. p. 241. ISBN 978-1-932098-50-1. Retrieved on July 7, 2009.
- Stienstra, Tom (2006). Moon Oregon Camping (2 ed.). Avalon Travel Publishing. pp. 385–386. ISBN 978-1-56691-604-2. Retrieved on July 7, 2009.
- "Agency Lake Resort". Agency Lake Resort. Retrieved February 16, 2008.
- Aho, Jill (June 26, 2009). "Restoring the Wood River". Herald and News. Retrieved July 7, 2009.
- ""Critters" we have seen in our park". Agency Lake Resort. Retrieved July 7, 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Agency Lake.|