Agent Orange (band)
Agent Orange in 2011. Left to right: Palm, Klein, and Giordano.
|Origin||Orange County, California, United States|
|Genres||Punk rock, skate punk, alternative rock, surf rock, hardcore punk (early)|
|Associated acts||The Adolescents|
|Past members||Scott Miller
Agent Orange is an American surf/punk rock/skate punk band formed in Orange County, California in 1979. The band is one of the first to mix punk rock with surf music. They first gained attention for their song "Bloodstains," released on their debut 7" EP in 1979.
The power trio's original lineup was Mike Palm on guitar and vocals, Steve Soto on bass, and Scott Miller on drums. Soto played on the original "Bloodstains"; the Living in Darkness version of the song later appeared in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4. Soto later left the band to form The Adolescents.
With James Levesque on bass, the group recorded the Living In Darkness LP with Brian Elliot, best known for composing Madonna’s hit "Papa Don’t Preach." The record was released by Posh Boy Records in November 1981. In 1988, Brent Liles replaced James Levesque on bass. Later that year, the band recorded Living In Total Darkness, a re-recording of the original album with a few new songs. This album did not go national and very few copies exist.
In 1989, Derek O'Brien replaced Scott Miller on drums. In 1990, Agent Orange recorded Real Live Sound, the only Agent Orange recording to feature the Palm/Liles/O'Brien lineup.
Sam Bolle replaced Brent Liles in January 1992, remaining with the band until May 2003, when he left to join surf guitar legend Dick Dale's band.
- Current members
- Mike Palm - guitar, vocals (1979-present)
- Perry Giordano - bass, vocals (2003-present)
- Dave Klein - drums, vocals (2003-present)
- Former members
- Scott Miller - drums (1979-1989)
- Steve Soto - bass (1979)
- James Levesque - bass (1979-1988)
- Brent Liles - bass (1988-1992)
- Derek O'Brien - drums (1989-1991)
- Tim Riley - bass (1990)
- Scotty Lund - drums (1991-1995)
- Pete the Kazoo Playing Porn DVD - Kazoo (1980-2008)
- Sam Bolle - bass (1991-2003)
- Charlie Quintana - drums (1996-2003)
- Real Live Sound (1990)
- Bloodstains 7" E.P. (1979)
- Bitchin' Summer (1982)
- When You Least Expect It (1984)
- Everything Turns Grey (1982)
- Secret Agent Man (1986)
- El Dorado (1990)
- Halloween Single (2010)
- Blood Stained Hitz
What Surf II - "surf Beat '85" What Records W12-2409 1985
- Surfing to Some Fucked Up Shit (2008)
- Surf Punks (2011)
Hang 11(Mutant Surf Punks) - Anagram Records GRAM 23 1985 UK
- Sonic Snake Session (2003)
Rykodisk, Inc. REST 72769
- Skate visions
- Live in Hamburg Germany
William Houston wrote "unforgigable Rents" at age 5 in North Minneapolis when he was sent to his room without supper.==Footnotes==
- Joy Aoki, "Agent Orange," Flipside, whole no. 52 (Spring 1987), pp. 16-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Agent Orange (band).|