Agnes Lynch Starrett Poetry Prize
This prize of the University of Pittsburgh Press in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA was initiated by Ed Ochester and developed by Frederick A. Hetzel. The prize is named for a former director of the Press. It has recognized and supported emerging poets and made their work available to readers around the world.
The award is open to any poet writing in English who has not had a full-length book published previously. Entry requires the payment of a significant fee. A "full-length book" of poetry is defined as a volume of 48 or more pages published in an edition of 750 or more copies. The prize carries a cash award of $5,000 and publication by the University of Pittsburgh Press in the Pitt Poetry Series. The winner is announced in the fall of each year.
- 2012 — Kasey Jueds, Keeper 
- 2011 — Dore Kiesselbach, Salt Pier
- 2010 — Glenn Shaheen, Predatory
- 2009 — Bobby C. Rogers, Paper Anniversary
- 2008 — Cheryl Dumesnil, In Praise of Falling
- 2007 — Michael McGriff, Dismantling the Hills
- 2006 — Nancy Krygowski, Velocity
- 2005 — Rick Hilles, Brother Salvage: Poems
- 2004 — Aaron Smith, Blue on Blue Ground
- 2003 — David Shumate, High Water Mark
- 2002 — Shao Wei, Pulling a Dragon's Teeth
- 2001 — Gabriel Gudding, A Defense of Poetry
- 2000 — Quan Barry, Asylum
- 1999 — Daisy Fried, She Didn't Mean To Do It
- 1998 — Shara McCallum, The Water Between Us
- 1997 — Richard Blanco, City of a Hundred Fires
- 1996 — Helen Conkling, Red Peony Night
- 1995 — Sandy Solomon, Pears, Lake, Sun
- 1994 — Jan Beatty, Mad River
- 1993 — Natasha Sajé, Red Under the Skin
- 1992 — Hunt Hawkins, The Domestic Life
- 1991 — Julia Kasdorf, Sleeping Preacher
- 1990 — Debra Allbery, Walking Distance
- 1989 — Nancy Vieira Couto, The Face in the Water
- 1988 — Maxine Scates, Toluca Street
- 1987 — David Rivard, Torque
- 1986 — Robley Wilson, Kingdoms of the Ordinary
- 1985 — Liz Rosenberg, The Fire Music
- 1984 — Arthur Smith, Elegy on Independence Day
- 1983 — Kate Daniels, The White Wave
- 1982 — Lawrence Joseph, Shouting at No One
- 1981 — Kathy Callaway, Heart of the Garfish
- "Philadelphia author wins 2012 Pitt Press poetry prize" (Press release). University of Pittsburgh Press. December 9, 2012. Retrieved January 23, 2013.
- "Starrett poetry prize winner announced". University Times 44 (9) (Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh). 2012-01-12. Retrieved 2012-01-13.
- Hoover, Bob (2010-11-01). "Canadian wins Pitt Press poetry prize". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA). Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- Mauriello, Tracie (January 13, 2013). "Richard Blanco, poet for Obama inaugural, was nurtured by University of Pittsburgh Press". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- American poetry
- List of poetry awards
- List of literature awards
- List of years in poetry
- List of years in literature
- Ochester, Ed and Peter Oresick (1993). The Pittsburgh Book of Contemporary American Poetry. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press. ISBN 0-8229-5506-7.
- "Past Winners Of the Agnes Lynch Starrett Poetry Prize", University of Pittsburgh Press