Location within Los Angeles county
|Country||United States of America|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
Agoura is an unincorporated community of Los Angeles County, which is located southeast of the city of Agoura Hills, California, adjacent to the city of Calabasas in Los Angeles County. Agoura was the historical name of the area, before much of the area was developed and before the incorporation of the city of Agoura Hills. There are a few pockets of unincorporated areas, containing a handful of houses, in the area. Much of the area is also often referred to as the neighborhood Old Agoura. The ZIP code is 91301 and the community is inside telephone area code 818.
In the 1920s, the community was briefly known as Picture City, as Paramount Pictures owned a ranch in the area used for filming Westerns. To obtain a post office of its own the Postal Service required the residents to choose a one word name, and in 1927 they chose a misspelling of the last name of Pierre Agoure, a local French Basque immigrant who had settled in the area in 1871 to live the lifestyle of the Mexican rancher and styled himself Don Pierre Agoure. His name was chosen for the post office as it was the shortest name which was proposed. The surrounding community of Agoura Hills incorporated as a city in 1982.
- Brad Delson, Rob Bourdon, and Mike Shinoda of the band Linkin Park attended Agoura High School.
- Clay Matthews III, middle linebacker for the Green Bay Packers attended Agoura High School.
- Dan Estrin and Douglas Robb of Hoobastank attended Agoura High School.
- Justin Berfield from the show Malcolm in the Middle attended Agoura High School.
- Actress Heather Graham attended Agoura High School.
- Actor and musician Skye Aspen attended Agoura High School.
- 2007 graduate from Agoura High School, Spencer Klein voiced the character, Arnold, in the popular T.V. series, Hey Arnold.
- David E. Weiss, Cadet on the SS Edmund Fitzgerald
- Los Angeles County publication: “Unincorporated Areas within the County of Los Angeles”, Agoura listed by Los Angeles County government office, as an unincorporated area, “Los Angeles County publication: ‘Unincorporated Areas within the County of Los Angeles’”, verified September 27, 2010
- Los Angeles County Office of Unincorporated Area Services, Agoura listed by Los Angeles County government office, as an unincorporated area, “Los Angeles County Office of Unincorporated Area Services”, verified September 27, 2010
- http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSvcid=9332&GRid=14344192& findagrave.com
- Gudde, Erwin; William Bright (2004). California Place Names (Fourth ed. ed.). University of California Press. p. 3. ISBN 0-520-24217-3.
- http://www.colapublib.org/history/agourahills/faq.html colapublib.org