Location within Los Angeles county
|Country||United States of America|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
Agoura is an unincorporated community of Los Angeles County, which is located southeast of the city of Agoura Hills, California, adjacent to the city of Calabasas in Los Angeles County. Agoura was the historical name of the area, before much of the area was developed and before the incorporation of the city of Agoura Hills. There are a few pockets of unincorporated areas, containing a handful of houses, in the area. Much of the area is also often referred to as the neighborhood Old Agoura. The ZIP code is 91301 and the community is inside telephone area code 818.
A stagecoach stop here was know as "Vegar Junction" and in the 1920s the community was briefly known as Picture City, as Paramount Pictures owned a ranch in the area used for filming Westerns. To obtain a post office of its own the Postal Service required the residents to choose a one word name, and in 1927 they chose the last name of Pierre Agoure, a local French Basque immigrant who had settled in the area in 1871 to live the lifestyle of the Mexican rancher and styled himself Don Pierre Agoure. His name was chosen for the post office as it was the shortest name proposed but it is unknown where the final letter was an error or an attempt to make it easier to spell. The city of Agoura Hills incorporated in 1982 but the remaining unincorporated areas are still identified as Agoura.
- Los Angeles County publication: “Unincorporated Areas within the County of Los Angeles”, Agoura listed by Los Angeles County government office, as an unincorporated area, “Los Angeles County publication: ‘Unincorporated Areas within the County of Los Angeles’”, verified September 27, 2010
- Los Angeles County Office of Unincorporated Area Services, Agoura listed by Los Angeles County government office, as an unincorporated area, “Los Angeles County Office of Unincorporated Area Services”, verified September 27, 2010
- "Agoura Hills: Frequently Asked Questions" County of Los Angeles Public LIbrary
- "Pierre Agoure" Find A Grave Provo, Utah
- Gudde, Erwin; William Bright (2004). California Place Names (Fourth ed. ed.). University of California Press. p. 3. ISBN 0-520-24217-3.