Agra Fort railway station
Indian Railway Station
A stationary WAP 4
|Address||Rakabganj, Agra, Uttar Pradesh
|Elevation||170 metres (560 ft)|
|Structure type||Standard on ground|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operator||North Central Railway|
|Railways in Agra|
Source: Google maps
Agra Fort Railway Station, is located near Agra Fort, in Rawatpara, Agra. It used to be one of the stations in India that had both broad gauge and metre gauge, until the line to Jaipur was converted to broad gauge. Agra Fort Railway Station comes under the North Central Railways.
Agra, the 16-17th century capital of the Mughals, is home to monuments such as the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort. The Taj Mahal attracts 2-4 million tourists annually. About 200,000 foreign tourists visit it.
The 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) wide metre gauge Delhi-Bandikui and Bandikui-Agra lines of Rajputana State Railway were opened in 1874. The Agra-Jaipur line was converted to 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) wide broad gauge in 2005.
There was a spacious, octagonal Tripolia Chowk which existed between the Jama Masjid and the Delhi gate of the Agra Fort. This Tropolia was destroyed in order to create the Agra Fort Railway Station, which was also the first Railway Station of Agra and also one of the oldest in the country.
The Faridabad-Mathura-Agra section was electrified in 1982-85, Tundla-Yamuna Bridge in 1998-99 and Yamuna Bridge-Agra in 1990-91.
Agra Fort railway station serves around 87,000 passengers everyday.
Agra Cantt. railway station has telephone booth, waiting room, retiring room, refreshment rooms, water coolers and book stall.
- "Agra Railway Station". Make my trip. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Taj Visitors". Department of Tourism, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "IR History:Early Days II (1870-1899)". IRFCA. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- "Boost for Jaipur-Agra rail link". The Hindu, 6 May 2005. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Agra Fort". Indian Rail Enquiry. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Agra Fort railway station.|
- List of trains stopping at Agra Fort Railway Station
- Agra travel guide from Wikivoyage
|Preceding station||Indian Railways||Following station|
|North Central Railway zone|