|AgustaWestland AW189 mockup at model launch|
|First flight||21 December 2011|
|Developed from||AgustaWestland AW149|
Design and development
The new AW189 model was announced by AgustaWestland at the Paris International Air Show on 20 June 2011. The company plans to have the helicopter certified by 2013 and in service in 2014. The AW189 is a civilian development of the military AW149, which is an enlarged development of the AW139. AgustaWestland aims to sell the AW189 for offshore helicopter support, search and rescue and passenger transport roles, and has 16 seats and a 50-minute run-dry gearbox for that purpose.
The AW189 is a large twin-engined helicopter with a five-bladed fully articulated main rotor, a four-bladed tail rotor and a retractle tricycle landing gear. It is powered by two General Electric CT7-2E1 turboshaft engines. It has room for 19 passengers and two crew, operation by a single pilot are allowed under some conditions and limitations.
The first AW189 took its maiden flight on 21 December 2011 from company’s facility in Cascina Costa, Italy, and the first production model flew in October 2013. In July 2013, AgustaWestland reported over 80 orders and options placed for the helicopter.
Data from Yeovil's New Twin
- Crew: 1 or 2
- Capacity: 12-18 passengers
- Fuel capacity: 2,068 L
- Length: 17.60 m (57 ft 9 in)
- Main rotor diameter: 14.60 m (47 ft 11 in)
- Height: 5.06 m (16 ft 7 in)
- Wing area: 53.3 m2 (574 ft2)
- Gross weight: 8,300 kg (18,300 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × General Electric CT7-2E1 turboshaft engine, 1,492 kW (2,000 hp) each each
- Related development
- Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- Related lists
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AgustaWestland AW189.|
- "AgustaWestland Unveils The AW189 Helicopter". AgustaWestland. 20 June 2011. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- Osborne, Tony (20 June 2011). "AW139 has 'changed' AgustaWestland's behaviour". The Shephard Group. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "First production AW189 performs its maiden flight" AirFramer 10 October 2013. Accessed: 11 October 2013.
- "AgustaWestland’s New Generation AW189 Helicopter Completes Its Maiden Flight". AgustaWestland, 22 December 2011.
- Sarsfield, Kate. "AgustaWestland's AW189 takes to the skies". Flight International, 22 December 2011.
- "Bristow Group Sign Contract for 11 AW189 Helicopters for UK Search & Rescue". 23 July 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- Azerbaijan Airlines Orders Ten AgustaWestland Helicopters
- Era Group Orders Five AgustaWestland AW-189
- LIMA: Weststar signs helicopter deals with AgustaWestland, Eurocopter.
- "Gulf Helicopters Signs Firm Orders for 15 AW189 Helicopters". agustawestland.com. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Dubai Air Wing Orders An AW189 For VIP Transport". agustawestland.com. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Milestone Aviation Group Signs Contract to Purchase First Eight New-Generation AgustaWestland Helicopters". agustawestland.com. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- Harding Air International May 2013, p. 56.
- overall length, rotors turning
- Harding Air International May 2013, p. 55.
- Harding, Ian (May 2013). "Yeovil's New Twin". Air International. Vol. 84 (No. 5): pp. 52–57.