|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009)|
|Revenue||€ 46.0 million (2009)|
Number of employees
The company was founded as Ahead Software GmbH in 1995 by Richard Lesser.
In 2005, the company changed its name from Ahead Software to Nero, in order to match the name of its flagship product, the Nero Suite. As of November 2010, it has released ten versions of its suite worldwide. In addition to direct sales, some hardware manufacturers pre-load Nero software on PCs and bundle it with camcorders, optical disc drives and other devices. Moreover, other organizations use Nero multimedia codecs, SDKs and programming interfaces.
In 2008, the company expanded its product offerings beyond burning to include Nero Move it, a software program designed to help less tech-savvy consumers move photos, videos and music across a wide range of mobile devices. The company also introduced Nero LiquidTV/TiVo PC in partnership with TiVo, Inc. the same year, bringing the TiVo DVR experience to the PC.[verification needed] This new product offering has been referred to as "the first public foray by a TV brand into the consumer PC-to-TV space".” Both products are now discontinued.
- For the Americas, Nero Inc. in Glendale, California, United States
- For the Asia-Pacific region, Nero K.K. in Yokohama, Japan
- For China/Taiwan, Nero Ltd. in Hangzhou
Nero makes several products, including:
- Nero Multimedia Suite: a variety of software products, including the CD/DVD burning product Nero Burning ROM as well as other tools such photo editing, video authoring, audio editing, file conversion, backup, and an entertainment media center.
- Nero Digital: a suite of MPEG-4-compliant video and audio codecs. Nero AG licenses Nero Digital technology to integrated circuit manufacturers.
- Nero Linux: The Linux edition of Nero Burning ROM, an optical disc authoring tool that runs on various distributions of Linux.
- Nero BackItup: backup software for Microsoft Windows.
- Nero MediaHome: an entertainment network and media center application for Microsoft Windows that allows multimedia contents to be streamed to interconnected entertainment appliances.
- Nero AAC Codec, a set of command-line tools for encoding and decoding AAC LC/HE/HEv2.
- "Group Annual Report 2009 (German only)". Elektronischer Bundesanzeiger. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- Nero replaces Ahead Software as New Corporate Name, http://www.nero.com/enu/pressreleases.html?id=229
- Morrod, Tom: "TiVo launches PC-Based PVR with Nero", http://www.screendigest.com/online_services/intelligence/tvtech/updates/tv_tech_011008-tm1/view.html
- "Nero BackItup".
- "Nero MediaHome".