Ahmed M. Hassan
|Ahmed M. Hassan|
|Member of the Clarkston City Council|
5 November 2013
|Alma mater||State University of New York at Old Westbury
For his post-secondary education, Hassan received a BA from the State University of New York at Old Westbury. He also studied at Mercer University's Stetson School of Business in Atlanta, where he earned an MBA in finance. Additionally, Hassan holds a Master's degree in accounting and financial management with an emphasis on CPA from the Keller Graduate School of Business at DeVry University.
Hassan is married, and has three sons.
Hassan has more than two decades of experience in corporate and small businesses.
He is a prominent member of the Somali American community of Atlanta. Hassan has also worked on a volunteer basis for Clarkston's wider immigrant population and for the public cause.
Clarkston City Council
On 5 November 2013, Hassan emerged as one of the top three candidates in the five-way race, winning 19.6 percent of total votes. He defeated fellow candidate Birendra Dhakal by 18 votes, with 215 votes for Hassan and 197 votes for Dhakal. The other two vacant City Council positions were secured by incumbent Dean Moore and Robert Hogan, who received 22.8 percent and 22.3 percent of votes, respectively.
The victory makes Hassan the first Somali to be elected to the Clarkston City Council.
- Joshua Smith, Valerie J. Morgan (15 November 2013). "Young, white millennial emerges as mayor of Clarkston's melting pot". OCG News. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Somalilander Ahmed Hassan wins a seat in Clarkston city, USA". Crossroads News. 15 November 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Ahmed M. Hassan, Candidate for Clarkston City Council". New Vision for Clarkston. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Serving East Atlanta, Avondale Estates, Brookhaven, Chamblee, Clarkston, Decatur, Doraville, Dunwoody, Lithonia, Pine Lake, Tucker and Stone Mountain". FreePress. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Birendra Dhakal lost council election". Bhutan News Service. 9 November 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2013.