||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Turkish Wikipedia. (May 2011)|
|Notable work(s)||"A Momento for İstanbul"
Born in Gaziantep in 1960. Finished his Primary, Middle and High School there. In 1983, he graduated in Public Administration from Marmara University, and he wrote his first story in the same year. Between 1985 and 1986, he was educated at the Moscow Social Sciences Academy. Ahmet Ümit started his literary life with short stories but his first work about literature was a poetry book named “Sokağın Zulası”, published in 1989.
In 1990, with a group of literature lovers, he published an artificial (Mannerist?) magazine named “Hişt”. He published his poems, stories and works in some artificial magazines and newspapers such as Adam Sanat, Hişt, Öküz ve Cumhuriyet Kitap and Yeni Yüzyıl
His first book of short stories,“Çıplak Ayaklıydı Gece“, was published in 1992. That year, he won the Ferit Oğuz Bayır Art Award for that book. Çıplak Ayaklıydı Gece was the book that introduced Ahmet Ümit to the public and also made thrillers popular.
In 1994 he wrote the script for "Çakalların İzinde", broadcast on ATV. Then in 1995 he wrote some criticism and other articles about authors such as Franz Kafka, Dostoyevski, Patricia Highsmith, Edgar Allan Poe and thriller writers in various newspapers and magazines. His novel "Sis ve Gece" was very exciting and one of his best books. "Sis ve Gece" was extremely popular in Turkey but also became controversial. It was published in Greece and it was the first Turkish Thriller to be translated into any foreign language. Also TV series were made from his stories "Karanlıkta Koşanlar" and "Şeytan Ayrıntıda Gizlidir" by well-known producers and a film was made from "Sis ve Gece" by Turgut Yasalar.
"İstanbul Hatırası" was published on 4 June 2010.
- Sokağın Zulası (1989)
- Çıplak Ayaklıydı Gece (1992)
- Bir Ses Böler Geceyi (1994)
- Masal Masal İçinde (1995)
- Sis ve Gece (1996)
- Agatha'nın Anahtarı (1999)
- Kar Kokusu (1998)
- Patasana (2000)
- Şeytan Ayrıntıda Gizlidir (2002)
- Kukla (2002)
- Beyoğlu Rapsodisi (2003)
- Aşk Köpekliktir (2004)
- Başkomser Nevzat, Çiçekçinin Ölümü (2005)
- Kavim (2006)
- Ninatta'nın Bileziği (2006)
- İnsan Ruhunun Haritası (2007)
- Olmayan Ülke (2008)
- Bab-ı Esrar (2008)
- İstanbul Hatırası (2010)
- Sultanı Öldürmek (2012)
- Beyoğlu'nun En Güzel Abisi (2013)
- Neuwirth, Angelika; Winckler, Barbara; Pflitsch, Andreas (2006). Poetry's voice - society's norms: forms of interaction between Middle Eastern writers and their societies. Reichert. pp. 121–. ISBN 978-3-89500-518-3. Retrieved 29 June 2011. "Ahmet Ümit (b. 1960) ... Ahmet Ümit's mechanisms are somewhat more multilayered. Sis ve Gece (Fog and Night, 1996) revolves around an ... Thus Ahmet Ümit's tale propels us direct into history, which we will delve into a bit more deeply because the newly awoken ..."