21 June 1957 |
Ahmet Kanneci (born 21 June 1957) is a Turkish guitar virtuoso particularly on the Classic style. Currently, Kanneci is the chairman of the Department of Guitar, at Hacettepe University State Conservatory and actively teaching as well.
Born in Halfeti, Turkey, Kanneci began his music studies with Turgay Erdener, İstemihan Taviloğlu and Ali Sevgi. Meeting Julian Byzantine, with whom he continued his music studies, in 1977, he turned his attention to classical guitar. He was educated at the Ankara Science High School and later studied architecture at the METU. While studying architecture, he was awarded a scholarship from the Spanish Government to study with José Tomás at the "Conservatorio Superior de Música Óscar Esplá de Alicante". He has had the privilege of playing for Alirio Diaz and receiving his critical acclaim.
When he came back to his native country, Turkey, he has found several classical guitar departments in different conservatories. Since then he is a leading voice in academical music, and an acclaimed musician and teacher.
1993 Fulbright Grantee.
- Life Time Achievement in Art Fulbright
- Honorary doctorate Harran University, Şanlıurfa
- Honorary doctorate Süleyman Demirel University, Isparta
- Award of Appreciation METU, Ankara
- A. Vivaldi "Guitar Concertos" (1986)
- Guitar Festival in Morelia (1994)
- Guitarras del Mundo (1995)
- Anatolian Pieces (1996)
- Popular Classics (2002)
- Italian Baroque Music (2006)
- Erdener Integration (2006)