Ahmet and Dweezil Zappa (1993)
|Birth name||Ahmet Emuukha Rodan Zappa|
May 15, 1974 |
|Occupations||Musician, actor, writer, producer, publisher|
|Associated acts||Dweezil Zappa|
Ahmet Emuukha Rodan Zappa (born May 15, 1974) is an American writer, producer, and publisher.
Ahmet was born in the Hollywood Hills area of Los Angeles, the third of four children born to businesswoman Gail Zappa (née Sloatman) and musician Frank Zappa. Ahmet's father was of Sicilian, Greek-Arab and French descent and his mother is of French, Irish and mostly Danish ancestry. Ahmet has released several albums with his brother Dweezil Zappa, as well as writing the song "Frogs With Dirty Little Lips" with his father. He has two sisters named Moon Zappa and Diva Zappa and has appeared in a few feature films and television programs, sometimes appearing as a program host in the latter (see Robotica, But Can They Sing?).
In the late 1990s, Ahmet appeared on Channel 4 UK's The Adam and Joe Show, in a regular segment called 'Vinyl Justice', in which hosts Adam Buxton and Joe Cornish, dressed as policemen, examined his vinyl collection for 'criminal records'.
In July 2006, Ahmet saw the release of his debut novel, entitled The Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless, aimed at younger readers. The rights to a movie have already been bought by Bruckheimer Films and Disney. The movie is in production with screenwriter Tim Firth assisting, and an expected release is being determined.
On October 19, 2006, The Jim Henson Company announced it had hired Ahmet to write a treatment for a feature film version of the hit 1980s television show Fraggle Rock. He is also writing a sequel to The Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless, which had also been optioned to adapt to a screenplay.
Ahmet Zappa introduced the idea of developing a graphic novel-to-film division to Disney's studio head, Bob Iger. Iger, understanding the studio's need for such an entity, allowed Ahmet to run with the idea and granted him free rein to what became known as "Disney's Kingdom Comics."
Ahmet was also given a first look deal at Walt Disney Studios for motion picture productions. His company is called Monsterfoot Productions. He has since created and sold many films. The first, The Odd Life of Timothy Green, was released on August 15, 2012 by Walt Disney Pictures, and starred Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton.
Ahmet married actress Selma Blair on January 24, 2004, at Carrie Fisher's mansion in Beverly Hills, California. Blair filed for divorce at the Los Angeles Superior Court on June 21, 2006, citing irreconcilable differences. In a statement to People, a spokesman for the couple said, "Selma and Ahmet have decided to divorce but love each other very much and will continue to be close friends".
- Pump Up the Volume (1990) – Jaime
- Jack Frost (1998) – Snow plow driver
- Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror (1998) – Lazlo
- Ready to Rumble (2000) – Cashier
- Fraggle Rock: The Movie (Announced, October 2006) – producer
- The Odd Life of Timothy Green (2012) – story by and producer
- 2 Hip 4 Tv – Host (1988)
- Robotica – host for three seasons (2001–2002)
- webRIOT – host (1999)
- Happy Hour – host (1999)
- But Can They Sing? – host (2005)
- Head Case Ep No. 105 (Parental Guidance Required) – Starz Channel Original Series – self (2008)
- Roseanne (1994)
- Ahmet Zappa Biography (1974–)
- Miles, Barry (2004). Zappa. Grove Press. p. 124. ISBN 978-0-8021-1783-0. ISBN 0-8021-1783-X.
- Creem magazine (Creem Media). September, 1974: 16.
- – "'Mighty' Mouse Book Buy".
- "The Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless at IMDB".
- The Daily Truffle: L.A. Native Ahmet Zappa — King of Disney’s Kingdom Comics
- E! News – Selma Blair Legally Divorced