|Administrative region:||West Macedonia|
|Population statistics (as of 2001)|
|Time zone:||EET/EEST (UTC+2/3)|
Aiani (Greek: Αιανή) or Kalliani is a town and a former municipality in the Kozani regional unit, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Kozani, of which it is a municipal unit. It lies 20 km south of Kozani city. Population 3,816 (2001).
Since 1983, systematic excavations in the area have brought to light finds that attest the existence of an organised city from the late 6th century BC to 100 BC. These are now housed in the Aiani Archaeological Museum. The excavations in the city of Aiani, brought to light the oldest pieces of matt-painted (black and white) pottery ever found. Some of the matt-painted pottery dates back to the 15th-14th century BC (Μycenaean era). Amongst the archaic pottery, some of the oldest samples of writing were found. Amongst them we have names inscribed like ΔΟΛΙΟ (DOLIO) and ΘΕΜΙΔΟΣ (THEMIDOS), which prove that the society of that region of Macedonia, spoke and wrote Greek before the 5th century BC. A single example of linear writing similar to that of southern Greece has been found, but its significance still remains unknown.
The municipal unit Aiani is subdivided into the following communities:
- De Facto Population of Greece Population and Housing Census of March 18th, 2001 (PDF 793 KB). National Statistical Service of Greece. 2003.
- Ancient Greek: Αἰανή Aianê - LSJ:aianês eternal
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
- Macedonia: Hellenism in Macedonia, Britannica Online
- The Late Bronze Age in Aiani, Aegeo-Balkan Prehistory
- G. Karamitrou-Menteside: Η Αιανή και η συμβολή της στην διαμόρφωση της νέας ιστορικής φυσιογνωμίας της Μακεδονίας - Εταιρία Μακεδονικών σπουδών, 2008 (Greek)
- Archaeological Museum of Aiane   
- Necropolis of Aiani -Britannica Video
- Photos of the Macedonian Historical place at Aiani
- Village Chromio or Xromio 
|This West Macedonia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|