|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008)|
Aiden plays Southampton, England.
|Origin||Seattle, Washington, USA|
|Genres||post-hardcore, horror punk, punk rock, gothic rock|
|Years active||2003–2012 (On Hiatus)|
|Labels||Control, Riot, Victory, Unfun, Dead Teenager|
|Associated acts||William Control, Me Vs. Myself, Angel Ibarra Music, The Rock 'n' Roll Weekend Vampires Everywhere!, Falling in Reverse|
|Members||William "wiL" Francis
|Past members||Jake Wambold
Aiden is an American punk rock band from Seattle, Washington that formed in the spring of 2002. The current members are William Francis (vocals & guitar), Nick Wiggins (bass), Keef West (drums), and Ian MacWilliams (guitar).
The band's musical style is either hardcore punk, post-hardcore, punk rock or horror punk. Also, the band has been influenced by bands such as Misfits, Joy Division, Avenged Sevenfold, Thursday, My Chemical Romance, Coheed and Cambria, AFI, The Smiths/Morrissey, the Cure and Bad Religion.
The band is named after the character Aiden of the 2002 film The Ring. Their first full-length album Our Gang's Dark Oath, was released on Dead Teenager Records in 2004. It was recorded while Jake Davison and Angel Ibarra were still in high school, being released shortly after they had left.
In March 2006, Aiden played a US tour supporting Thirty Seconds to Mars, and later another US tour supporting the Finnish band HIM, during their Dark Light tour. In April 2007, they played with Lostprophets and Taking Back Sunday. Aiden also partook in the Taste of Chaos North American Tour alongside The Used, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Senses Fail, Saosin, Chiodos, and Evaline. They played a West Coast tour, followed by a national tour, Confessions in the Dark Tour, with Drop Dead, Gorgeous, Still Remains, and 1997. They have completed the International Taste of Chaos tour.
The band's third studio album entitled Conviction, was released on August 21, 2007. It marks a complete change of style in the band's musical direction. The first single from Conviction, "One Love", appears in Resident Evil: Extinction, and their song "We Sleep Forever" is featured on the soundtrack of the motion picture Dead Silence. On October 9, 2007, through a MySpace bulletin the band announced that they were filming their next music video, for the song "Moment", thus confirming it as the next single. The band played a show in Anchorage, Alaska in January 2008, introducing their U.S. tour with Madina Lake in February and March 2008. This was the first part of their three-part "World by Storm Tour", the second part of which was a month-long Europe tour with Kill Hannah from late March to late April 2008. The third part, a tour from Massachusetts back to their home base in Seattle, occupied much of May 2008, but the band pulled out of the tour after two shows, according to their web site for "personal reasons". However, the band did reinstate the final two shows, in Spokane and Seattle, near their home base. They played the Bamboozle Festival in East Rutherford, New Jersey in May 2008. Aiden recorded their own version of Ashley Massaro's theme music "Let's Light a Fire Tonight" for the bonus edition of WWE The Music, Vol. 8.
On May 20, 2008, the band announced on their website that Jake Wambold was no longer a member of Aiden. They played their first live show as a four piece in Spokane, Washington on May 24, 2008.
Francis has started a website and a MySpace page for a side project called William Control. William Control is a sort of alter-ego to wiL, and the albums consist of dark content lyric-wise, which wiL stated in a Kerrang! interview did not suit Aiden. Aiden also appeared on the soundtrack to Lost Boys: The Tribe with a cover of the theme song "Cry Little Sister", and did a European tour in October 2008, followed by a U.S. tour in November, called The Suffer Little Children Tour, finishing December 7. On December 14 Aiden posted a blog on their MySpace saying that they are in the studio writing and recording songs for their next album. The blog also said that there are about 25 songs that they are working with and William also mentioned he'd written 30 songs for the new record in an Alternative Press podcast.
Aiden's fourth full length album entitled Knives was released on May 12, 2009 (May 11 in the UK). On March 31, 2009, a new single, "Scavengers of the Damned," was made available through iTunes, the second single being Let The Right One In. In April 2009 Aiden announced a UK tour on their MySpace. They stated that they chose the smallest venues that were available. In May Aiden headlined the Music Saves Lives Summer Kickoff Party. While out on the 2009 Van's Warped Tour they did signings for the non-profit organization where they met with fans who gained special access to the band by donating blood. In January and February 2010 the band accompanied Anti-Flag on the 'Economy Sucks, Let's Party!' Tour, where in Chicago they filmed a live DVD and CD entitled From Hell...With Love, which was released on March 16, 2010, as stated in an interview with BareBonesMusic.com. Also in addition they stated on Kerrang that they will be returning to the UK and Europe with Saosin. After Saosin pulled out, the tour was planned to continue but was later cancelled because of a lack of funds. Aiden then toured the UK in November/December 2010 with Support from Francesqa and The Dead Formats.
On February 2, 2011 the title of their new album was announced on their website - Disguises  which was released on March 29, 2011. The first single released was "Walk Among the Dead" on iTunes. A music video for "Hysteria" was released in April, and a music video for "A Portrait of the Artist" was released the last week in June.
On May 9, 2011 Aiden announced that drummer Jake Davison left the band, for reasons of pursuing a new direction in life. According to William in a blog on Myspace, Davison's departure and relationship with the rest of the band did not end badly. Despite Davison leaving, Aiden headlined the Horror Nights Tour in support of Disguises with Vampires Everywhere, Eyes Set to Kill, Dr. Acula, and Get Scared.
Aiden released their sixth studio album Some Kind of Hate on October 25, 2011. It was the last album released on Victory Records, and the second Aiden album released in 2011. A music video for the first single "Broken Bones" was filmed, and premiered on YouTube.
In December 2011, the band announced, via their official web page, that they will be headlining the "Rock Beyond Belief" festival in March.
On January 1, 2012, lead guitarist Angel Ibarra decided to leave the band. Despite this, the band partook in the "Something Wicked This Way Comes tour", that took them all over the US west coast in January 2012 with Wednesday 13 and Modern Day Escape. The song "There Will Be Blood" off the 2011 Album "Some Kind of Hate" was used as the theme song for the Total Nonstop Action Wrestling pay per view event Genesis (2012).
In an interview with Under the Gun Review, William stated that Aiden would be calling it quits after releasing a seventh album. He confirmed that he would be releasing another album under his William Control moniker and is aiming for a fall release this year. As well as working on new solo material and the final Aiden record William will be helping Fearless Vampire Killers on their upcoming album.
On January 27, 2012, Fox News posted a story involving a controversial promotion of the Rock Beyond Belief concert, a public event organized by atheist members of the military. Aiden agreed to headline the event, promoting the concert using their 2011 music video for "Hysteria" from the album Disguises. Fox News claims the band is promoting church burning in the video, causing controversy in comments on the music video and the group's Facebook page. Aiden has stated that the promotion of church burning was not their intentions for the song, but rather the hysteria seen in fundamentalists of all faiths.
|2004||Our Gangs Dark Oath[A]||DeAd Teenager Records||—||32||30||—|
|2005||Nightmare Anatomy||Victory Records||196||16||9||—|
|Some Kind of Hate||—||—||—||—|
- A^ Our Gangs Dark Oath did not chart until 2006 when it was reissued through Victory Records.
|US||US Indie||US Heat||UK|
|2004||A Split of Nightmares||Unfun Records||—||—||—||—|
|2006||Rain in Hell||Victory Records||—||23||9||167|
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart.|
|US||US Indie||US Heat||UK|
|2010||From Hell...With Love||Victory Records||—||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart.|
|2004||"I Set My Friends on Fire"||Our Gangs Dark Oath|
|2005||"Knife Blood Nightmare"||Nightmare Anatomy|
|"The Last Sunrise"|
|2007||"We Sleep Forever"||Rain in Hell|
|2008||"Cry Little Sister"||Lost Boys: The Tribe|
|2009||"Scavengers of the Damned"||Knives|
|"Let the Right One In"|
|2011||"Walk Among the Dead"||Disguises|
|"A Portrait of the Artist"|
|"Broken Bones"||Some Kind of Hate|
Awards and nominations
- Kerrang! Awards 2007 - Best Live Band
- Corey Apar. "Aiden - Music Biography, Streaming Radio and Discography - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Aiden - Disguises". Alternative Press. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Angel Ibarra on Myspace". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Aiden - Conviction | Music | CD | Reviews | Static Multimedia[dead link]
- Corey Apar. "Our Gangs Dark Oath - Aiden - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- Gregory Heaney. "From Hell... With Love - Aiden - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Nightmare Anatomy release date". victoryrecords.com. 2005-04-10. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- "2006 Tour with 30 Seconds To Mars confirmation". altpress.com. 2006-01-26. Retrieved 2011-06-12.
- "HIM Tour poster with Aiden". 911.com. 2005-04-10. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- "Aiden KNIVES blog". myspace.com. 2009-04-01. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- "Alternative Press". Altpress.com. 2009-08-01. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- "Knives Release info". starpulse.com. 2009-05-25. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- "Aiden Interview". YouTube. 2010-02-15. Retrieved 2010-02-15.
- "Aiden + Saosin tour". alterthepress.com.
- "Saosin cancel co-headline tour". kerrang.com. 2010-03-10. Archived from the original on 12 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-10.
- "Aiden tour dates for 2011". Allgigs.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- "Aiden Disguises". Aiden.org. Archived from the original on 23 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-27.
- "Walk Among the Dead single". aidenuk.wordpress.com. 2011-04-14. Retrieved 2011-04-14.
- "Jake Davison leaves Aiden blog". myspace.com. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- "Some Kind of Hate release information". absolutepunk.net. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- "Broken Bones video". youtube.com. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- "Rock Beyond Belief festival". rockbeyondbelief.com. 2011-12-01. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- "Angel leaves Aiden". Aiden.org. Retrieved 2012-01-01.
- "Wednesday13 tour announcement". Aiden.org. 2011-10-30. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- "There Will Be Blood featured in TNA Genesis". impactwrestling.com. Retrieved 2012-01-01.
- "UTG INTERVIEW: William Control - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Artist Chart History - Aiden - Albums". Billboard. Retrieved on May 21, 2009.
- "Chart Log UK (1994–2008) A – Azzido Da Bass". Zobbel. Retrieved on May 21, 2009.
- "Chart Log UK (2009) Week 20". Zobbel. Retrieved on May 21, 2009.