Aiden Shaw (Life Ball 2013)
|Born||Aiden Finbar Brady
22 February 1966
Harrow, London, United Kingdom
|Occupation||Author, Model, Activist, Singer, Poet, & Musician|
Shaw was born in Harrow, London, on 22 February 1966, the sixth of seven children in an Irish Catholic family. At 14, he began dressing in an "alternative" way, taking an interest in the New Romantic, Punk, & Goth fashion/youth culture scenes that were prominent at that time. At 16 he enrolled on a two-year Creative Arts foundation course at Nelson and Colne College. Then he spent two years at Manchester Youth Theatre. Afterwards he embarked on an Expressive Arts degree at the then Brighton Polytechnic (now University of Brighton), but after only a year he transferred to Harrow College of Higher Education to study Film, Television, Photography & Video. After leaving college he worked for a time directing and art-directing music videos for bands such as Peter Hook's (bass player of New Order) off-shoot project Dead Beat.
Changing his last name, Shaw began working in gay porn in the early 1990s. Since then he has appeared in over 50 films, often working with director Chi-Chi LaRue. In 1991, he won the award for Best Newcomer at the Adult Erotic Gay Video Awards. He retired from the porn industry in 1999 though made a brief reappearance in 2003-04.
In 1991, Shaw collaborated with the New York artist Mark Beard to produce a limited edition publication named Aiden. Beard had been sharing a London flat with Shaw at the time. The book included several portraits (mainly nude and semi-nude) of Shaw, with text written by Beard and Shaw (who at that time was still known by his birth name of Aiden Brady).
However, it was not until 1996 that Shaw wrote his first novel, Brutal. Also in 1996, The Bad Press published a collection of his poems, If Language at the Same Time Shapes and Distorts our Ideas and Emotions, How do we Communicate Love? He wrote two more novels; Boundaries (1997) and Wasted (2001), and an autobiography, My Undoing (2006) in which he openly discusses his life in the sex industry as a porn star and as a prostitute, his drug addiction (particularly crystal meth), and his HIV status (Shaw was diagnosed HIV positive in 1997). In 2007, Shaw completed an MA in Creative Writing at Goldsmiths University of London, following which he completed a second autobiography, Sordid Truths (2009).
Shaw wrote and produced two albums of music, performing lead vocals on "Whatever" with his band of the same name. He also produced performance artist Nina Silvert on "Nina Silvert does Aiden Shaw".
In 2011, Shaw trained to become a qualified English teacher. He also modelled for GQ magazine in Berlin. It was in this publication that he was spotted by and signed to Success Models in Paris. He currently resides in Barcelona, where he is represented by Sight Management. In 2013 he was the face of Polish fashion company Bytom
- Brutal (Millivres Books, 1996) ISBN 1-873741-24-3
- If Language at the Same Time Shapes and Distorts Our Ideas and Emotions, How Do We Communicate Love? (The Bad Press, 1996) ISBN 0-9517233-4-0
- Boundaries (Brighton: Millivres Prowler Group 1997) ISBN 1-873741-48-0
- Wasted (Brighton: Millivres Prowler Group, 2001) ISBN 1-902852-34-6
- My Undoing: Love in the Thick of Sex, Drugs, Pornography, and Prostitution (New York: Carroll & Graf, 2006) ISBN 0-7867-1743-2
- Sordid Truths: Selling My Innocence for a Taste of Stardom (Alyson Books, 2009) ISBN 1-59350-137-4
- Perfect Fit
- Addiction: Part 1
- Addiction: Part 2
- Hot Wired 2
- Blockbuster Cocks
- The Backroom
- Boot Black II: Spit Shine
- Forced Entry
- Hardbody Video Magazine 4
- New Pledgemaster
- Bad Brad's Hush
- Break Away
- Grease Guns
- Mess Hall Maneuvers
- Roll in the Hay
- The Best of Aiden Shaw
- Raw: Bad Brad's Erotic Remix
- License to Thrill
- On the Mark
- Summer Buddies
- Black Leather White Studs
- Command Performance
- Dirty Dreaming
- Grand Prize
- Hot Pursuit
- Midnight Sun
- Night Force
- Beard, Mark; Brady, Aiden (1992). Aiden. London, England: Feard Press. ASIN B0006P9EYM.
- Aiden Shaw article (Gay.net)
- Shaw, Aiden (1996), If language at the same time shapes and distorts our ideas and emotions, how do we communicate love?, Bemis/Flaherty Collection of Gay Poetry, The Bad Press, OCLC 298124621
- Josh Sparber (September 2006). "The Porn Identity (interview with Aiden Shaw)". Poz.com. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- Sam Page (January 2010). "Coming To Terms (interview with Aiden Shaw)". HIVPLUSMAG.com. Retrieved 2012-07-12.