Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love
|"Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love"|
|Single by Van Halen|
|from the album Van Halen|
|B-side||"Feel Your Love Tonight"|
|Genre||Heavy metal, hard rock|
David Lee Roth
Alex Van Halen
Eddie Van Halen
|Van Halen singles chronology|
In popular culture
This song was the infamous "total dumpout" song for WNEW (broadcasting the metropolitan New York area) when the station used too much vulgarity or anything deemed obscene by the company. After too many "dumps" by a show, this song would start in order to give the master computer time to rebuild dump time on the radio station. The song would kick in when any show dumped out too much. Many times the theory to how much dump time were in the computer were challenged many a nights by the "Opie and Anthony" or "Ron and Fez" show between June 1998 and January 2003.
Notable cover versions
- In 1984, A shortened, chorus-free version of the song appears on the Minutemen album, "Double Nickels on the Dime".
- In 1992, Mr. Big performed a part of the song on their live album Mr. Big Live; guitarist Paul Gilbert plays the opening riff before stopping abruptly as lead singer Eric Martin yells, "Not!" and the band begins playing the Who's "Baba O'Riley".
- In 2002, on Tim Hecker's album, My Love Is Rotten to the Core the first track, "Introducing Carl Cocks" is a digitally splayed manipulation mainly based on the main guitar riff.
- In 2007, Velvet Revolver played the song when inducting Van Halen in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- In 2007, Die Hunns covered the song on their album Live Fast'.
- In 2008, The German band Jazzkantine recorded a jazz version of the song for their album Hell's Kitchen.
- In 2010, Pearl Jam covered the song for the first time at their May 15 show at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut.
- In 2010, Polish female singer Doda uploaded her cover on YouTube and performed it live on the New Year's Eve 2010/11 concert in Warsaw. In May 2011 she released her second studio album, 7 pokus głównych (The 7 Temptations), where dance-pop cover of "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" written and produced by 5th Element was included as a bonus song.
- Rappers Tone Loc and 2 Live Crew also sampled the main riff.
- The Drive-By Truckers often cover the song in concert.
- Billie Joe Armstrong of the punk rock band Green Day plays the opening lick at some of their shows.