|Occupations||Songwriter, Musician, Producer|
Born in Oakland, California, Ainjel Emme (pronounced "angel em") spent her early childhood in the San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, and Venice, California before settling in Austin, Texas in 1991. She currently lives in Los Angeles, California. Known primarily as a solo performer and recording artist, Emme is also an accomplished songwriter, session vocalist, musician, and producer.
Heartache Is Boring
Emme's independent debut, Heartache Is Boring, was recorded at Willie Nelson's studio in Pedernales, TX and released in October 2003. Co-produced by Mat Mitchell (Puscifer, Nine Inch Nails) and Kyle Ellison (Meat Puppets, Butthole Surfers), the record received critical acclaim ["Shimmers with art and soul" - BUST Magazine (Spring 2004), "Hits the mark right out of the chute" - The Austin Chronicle, (October 2003)] and topped the charts on internet radio sites like IACmusic.com, where she was inducted into the "KIAC Hall Of Fame". Heartache received regular airplay on local radio in Austin and made Top 10 CDs of the Year at KUT 90.5 FM. Only 1000 physical copies of the album were ever manufactured. The CD went out of print in 2006, but it is still available digitally through iTunes and other online retailers. Used copies of the disc have been known to fetch up to $100 on sites like eBay and Amazon.com. Ainjel has also made "hand-dubbed", self-illustrated copies of the album available to fans upon request in the past. She has alluded to a re-release of the physical album in the future on her website's blog.
In late 2004, Emme returned to Los Angeles. She supported herself as a waitress, music teacher, recording engineer, and session musician while developing material for her second album. She also interned at various entertainment companies and studios around the LA area. In 2006, she traveled to Lollapalooza and Coachella with art-rock outfit MASS Ensemble, playing drums and percussion, and toured with all-girl AC/DC tribute Whole Lotta Rosies on rhythm guitar. The lone solo artist to be voted into the semifinals for SPIN Magazine's Hot Pursuit competition in 2007, judge Perry Farrell described her voice as "rich in character" and SPIN editor Doug Brod noted, "Very impressive stuff."
Ainjel contributed vocals and guitar to the debut album for Maynard James Keenan's ongoing collaboration-based side project, Puscifer (Momma Sed and The Undertaker). The album, "V" Is For Vagina, debuted at #1 on the Billboard independent charts. Her performances are also featured on the remix album, "V" Is For Viagra.
Everyone Is Beautiful
Everyone Is Beautiful, Emme's sophomore record, was recorded over a year-long stretch of Fridays in Gardena, CA with friend and co-worker Rob Black. Black and Emme worked together at a cafe in Venice; she in the front as a waitress, he in the back as a cook. Friday was the one day of the week they mutually had "off", and they would spend the entire 24 hours holed up in Black's rehearsal space, tracking. Post-production took place at Threshold Sound + Vision in Santa Monica, CA with engineer Todd Bergman handling the final mixes. One of the studio owners took an interest in Emme's work and licensed Everyone Is Beautiful to be released through Spin Move Records on January 11, 2011. The Down Song is featured in the opening montage of action indie film Dead Drop. Straight To Hell and The Priest have been featured on MTV's Teen Mom (Episodes 302 and 407).
Damn The Moon
On January 1st, 2014, Ainjel announced that she was working in the studio on new music centered around and including a single called "Damn The Moon", to be released in the near future.
- They Promised You America: Quiet Hour Demos Vol. 1 (2005) - out of print
- "V" is for Viagra: The Remixes - Puscifer (acoustic guitar, backing vocals on "Momma Sed", backing vocals on "The Undertaker")
- "V" Is for Vagina - Puscifer (acoustic guitar, backing vocals on "Momma Sed (Tandemonium Remix)")
- Drown In The Crimson Tide - Nakia (backing vocals on "Make Up With A Gun")
- "Buysexual" - The Seems (producer, album art, background vocals)
- "Lift Your Gaze" - Deborah Falconer (background vocals on "Lift Your Gaze" and "Color Your World", album art)
- "I Only Remember The Good" (Single) - Tony Scalzo (backing vocals)
- "Hello World" - Hello Kitty (featured vocal on title track from the album, "Hello World")
- "Ryantology" - MC Werdplay (backing vocals, synth on "Immunity")
- "Without A Stain" (Single) - Karlis (songwriter, co-producer, backing vocals, wurlitzer piano, piano, bass guitar)
- "Breaking Free" (Single) - Rochelle Diamante (songwriter, co-producer, vocal production, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, synth/programming, additional vocals)
- "You Never Let Me Down" (Single) - Akaylah (songwriter, co-producer, piano, vocal production)
- "Sheboygan EP" - Sheboygan (drums, backing vocals)