Air Buddy (dog)
Buddy (not pictured) was honored in the credits of Air Bud: Golden Receiver
|Species||Canis lupus familiaris|
|Died||February 10, 1998
San Diego, California
|Notable role||Comet in Full House
Buddy in Air Bud
|Owner||Kevin Di Cicco|
Buddy (1988 - February 10, 1998) was a dog actor, best known for playing Comet in Full House and playing Buddy in Air Bud (1997) and for the Air Bud series of films based on his character. In February 1998, Buddy died in his sleep of complications from a form of cancer. A stray, Buddy was believed to have been 11 to 12 years old. 
Buddy was found by Kevin di Cicco as a stray dog in the Sierra Nevada mountains in the summer of 1989. Kevin di Cicco adopted the disheveled dog and brought him home to San Diego, where he trained him in the sports of basketball, baseball, football, soccer, and hockey.
Buddy played Comet the dog in 6 seasons (1989-95) of the television sitcom Full House, which began airing in 1987.
Buddy was also well known for his stardom in the Air Bud series for the role of Buddy, a dog abandoned by his previous owner. In the movie, he moved in with a boy named Josh who was depressed due to the death of his father. The movie was released in 1997. He appeared on the Kids' Choice Awards in 1998, where he was nominated for a Blimp Award for the movie. Air Bud: Golden Receiver was made in his memory.
Illness and death
In 1997, Buddy had his right hind leg amputated due to synovial cell sarcoma, a type of cancer that manifests near the joints.  Buddy died in his sleep due to complications from cancer on February 10, 1998 at his owner's San Diego home.
Awards and nominations
|1998||Kids' Choice Awards||Nominated |
|1989–1995||Full House||Comet the Dog|
- Tribune News Services (February 13, 1998). "Athletic Canine Star Of `Air Bud' Film Dies". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- "‘Air Bud’ Star Dies Of Cancer". The Spokesman-Review. February 13, 1998. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- Go Buddy! The Air Butt Story, by Kevin di Cicco, Air Bud Publishing Group, 2012.
- Tony Perry (August 9, 1992). "Once Again, It's Man's Best Friend to the Rescue". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- Margaret A. McGurk (August 14, 1998). "Wholesome Air Bud scores with youngsters". The Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Shirliey Fung (August 22, 1997). "Hound For Glory". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- Tribune News Services (August 7, 1997). "Cancer Can't Ground `Air Bud' Hoops Pooch". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- Tribune News Services (February 13, 1998). "Athletic Canine Star Of `Air Bud' Film Dies". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- "‘Air Bud’ Star Dies Of Cancer". The Spokesman-Review. February 13, 1998. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- Melanie Mcfarland (April 3, 1998). "The Kids Get Their Say For Nickelodeon Awards". The Seattle Times. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- "Kids Pick The Winners On Nick". New York Daily News. March 29, 1998. Retrieved November 3, 2012.