Air Sénégal International
|Ceased operations||24 April 2009|
|Hubs||Dakar-Yoff-Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport|
|Company slogan||You will love our Company|
|Parent company||Royal Air Maroc (51%)
Senegalese Government (49%)
|Key people||Mohamed El Yaalaoui (General Manager)|
Air Sénégal International was an airline with its head office in Dakar, Senegal. It was a regional carrier operating a scheduled domestic network and regional flights to neighbouring countries. It also operated charter and air taxi flights. Its main base was Dakar-Yoff-Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport.
On April 24, 2009, the airline suspended all of its operations.
The airline was established on 1 February 1971 as Air Sénégal and started operations on 23 February 2001. It was restructured as an international carrier following the acquisition of a majority stake by Royal Air Maroc in 2001. It was part of Groupe Royal Air Maroc, who owned 51% of the company's shares, with 49% being held by the Senegalese government.
At one time the airline had its head office on the grounds of Dakar-Yoff-Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport in Yoff, Senegal.
In 2006 the airline disclosed losses of $16 Million. In 2007, the Senegalese government stated that effective 5 November, it would purchase a further 26% of the airline, raising its stake to 75%. The Senegalese government stated that support from Royal Air Maroc had "shown its limitations", and that the airline needed to be recapitalised.
In late 2009, a new airline was announced to replace Air Sénégal International. The new airline will be called Senegal Airlines with a fleet of 4 Airbus A320 aircraft and 2 Airbus A330 aircraft. Operations are due to start in early 2011.
At 2007, Air Sénégal International operated scheduled passenger flights to the following destinations:
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Côte d'Ivoire
- The Gambia
- Canary Islands
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (January 2009)|
At May 2007, Air Sénégal International had codeshare agreements with the following airlines:
- Brussels Airlines (Star Alliance)
- Iberia Airlines (Oneworld)
- Royal Air Maroc
- South African Airways (Star Alliance)
|Boeing 737-700||4||114 (12/102)||Medium haul routes|
|Bombardier Dash 8 Q300||1||50 (0/50)||Short haul|
|Total Number of Aircraft||5|
At August 2006 the airline also operated:
- Air Senegal International website "Message by the Managing Director"
- "Contacts." Air Sénégal International. 5 January 2007. Retrieved on 15 May 2010.
- Aerotransport.org Air Sénégal International fleet details
- Air Sénégal International suspends operations
- "RAM infuses fresh capital into Air Senegal". Panapress. 2007-04-11. Retrieved 2007-05-25. "RAM holds 51 percent of the shares of ASI, while the Senegalese government owns the remaining 49 percent."
- "Directory: World Airlines." Flight International. 12–18 March 2002. 63.
- "Senegal retakes control of airline from Air Maroc". Reuters. 2007-04-11. Retrieved 2007-05-25.
- "Senegal government takes major stake in its flag carrier". AFP. 2007-10-31. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- Senegal Airlines to use 6 Airbus aircraft
- Air Sénégal International destination guide (cross-referenced for codeshare flights on http://www.amadeus.net)
- (French) Air Sénégal International "Notre Fleet"
- Flight International, 3–9 October 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Air Senegal International.|