Air University (Pakistan Air Force)
|Motto||Taking Academic Excellence To New Heights|
|Chancellor||President of Pakistan|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Ijaz Ahmad Malik|
|Location||Islamabad, Islamabad Capital Territory, Pakistan|
|Colours||Black, Outer space, Jordy|
|Affiliations||PEC, HEC, ACU, IAU|
Established by the PAF after seeing the success of Navy's own public university project, its status is also granted as civilian and offers various programmes in undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral studies. However, the university is under the management of PAF's education command. The university is noted for its strong emphasis on engineering, business management and humanities. Majority of its students are civilians.
The university is one of the top institution of higher learning in the country and secured its ranking in among country's top ten and most notable universities in "Engineering & Technology" category by the HEC in 2010. In addition, the university is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities of the United Kingdom.
The Air University's main campus is located in Sector E-9, Islamabad, Pakistan. The University's major faculties and departments are given below:
- Faculty of Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Mechatronics Engineering
- Faculty of Basic & Applied Sciences
- Computer Science & Engineering Department
- Physics Department
- Mathematics Department
- Faculty of Administrative Sciences
- Faculty of Social Sciences & Humanities
- Institute of Avionics and Aeronautics
- Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Department of Avionics Engineering
Air University has established its new campus at 82-Abdali Road, Multan Cantonmemt, which was launched in spring 2011.
Air University Islamabad offers:
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Engineering (BE-E)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechatronics Engineering (BE-MT)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering (BE-ME)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BS-CS)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA-Honours)
- Banking & Finance
- Human Resource Management
- MS Aerospace Engineering
- Fluid Dynamics
- Solid Mechanics
- MS Avionics Engineering
- Control systems
- Microwave Engineering
- MS Electrical Engineering (MS-EE)
- MS Mechatronics Engineering (MS-MT)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Banking & Finance
- Human Resource Management
- MS Management Science
- Banking & Finance
- General Management(HR)
- MS Mathematical Modeling & Scientific Computing(MS-MM&SC)
- PhD in Electronics
- PhD in Avionics Engineering
- PhD in Aerospace Engineering
- PhD in Management Science
AU is a model university established by the Pakistan Air Force. The student body consists of over 3,500 students. In 2010, nearly 10,000 candidates applied for the undergraduate programs at AU. AU has over 120 full-time employed faculty staff. Professors and lecturers are part of the visiting faculty. In addition to this, professors from universities around the world visit AU under collaborative arrangements.
The majority of the faculty members have PhD and M.Phil degrees from renown and well-reputed universities from all around the world.
Admission to engineering undergraduate courses in Air University is based primarily on an interview along with a written entrance test. Candidates who have cleared SAT I and SAT II within the last one year are exempted from the university admission test, provided their scores in those tests are as under:
- Engineering Candidates:
- At least 1150 in SAT I, and
- At least 600 each in Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry in SAT II.
- BBA Candidates:
- At least 1100 in SAT I
- MBA/MS Candidates:
- Candidates scoring 50% marks or above in GRE equivalent entry test will be exempted from Air University Admission Test for MBA/MS Management Science.
The basic requirement for admission in undergraduate program is FSc Pre-Engineering from any Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education or any equivalent qualification (like Overseas High School Certificate, British Advanced Level of Certificate, International Baccalaureate etc.). Minimum 60% marks is required in Matriculation and 60% in FSc/Equivalent Exam. Students can also apply on the basis of their SAT scores, however admissions on the basis of SAT have reserved seats.
Students can augment their learning through practical work in laboratories. The labs in Air University are equipped to undertake research in the fields of Aerospace, Avionics, Electronics, Mechanical, Mechatronics, and Telecommunications Engineering. These labs include:
- Aerodynamics Laboratory (ADL)
- Aerospace Sensors & Systems Laboratory
- Micro-Electro-Mechancial-Systems(MEMS) Laboratory
- Avionics Integration Laboratory
- Communication Security and Embedded Systems Laboratory
- Computer Aided Engineering Laboratory (CAEL)
- CNC Machines and Robotics Laboratory
- Control Engineering Laboratory
- Digital Electronics Laboratory
- Digital Signal Processing Laboratory
- Dynamics and Strength Laboratory (DSL)
- ECM and RADAR Laboratory
- Electro-optics Laboratory
- Electronic Systems Laboratory
- Embedded Systems Laboratory
- Fluid Mechanics Laboratory
- Heat and Mass Transfer Laboratory
- Industrial Automation Laboratory
- Lego Mindstroms – Advanced Mechatronics Laboratory
- Machine Design Laboratory
- Materials and Structures Laboratory (MSL)
- Mechanics of Materials Laboratory
- Mechanical Workshop
- Power Electronics and Electrical Machines Laboratory
- Power Systems Laboratory
- Projects Laboratory
- RF and Optical Communication Laboratory
- Thermo Fluids and Propulsion Laboratory (TFPL)
- Thermodynamics Laboratory
Air University offers opportunities for students to participate in technical and professional societies. Study trips to industries and organizations are arranged, guest speakers from institutes and industries are invited and seminars and workshops are held. Students have developed their own societies and clubs.
Student run organizations, societies, and clubs are present in Air University. These include:
- AU Cultural Society (AUCS)
Air University Thespian Society
- Sports Club
- Music Society
- Islamic Society
- Adventure Club
- Engineering Research and Computer Society
- Literary Society
- Science and Technology Society
- Drama (Thespian) Society
- Performing Arts Society
- Allama Iqbal Society
- Sha'oor - The Society
Sports facilities include courts for indoor games and activities such as table tennis, badminton, basketball, volleyball, and hockey, Football and cricket fields are also present on the campus.
AU has no hostel of its own. The students from other cities have to manage their own accommodation.
- "Road map of Air University". http://www.au.edu.pk/map.aspx. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Why air unviersity". Why air university. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Timeline of AU". Timeline of AU. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "HEC rankings". HEC rankings.
- "ACU Members". ACU.
- "Research Labs-Air University". Au.edu.pk. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- "SHA'OOR - The Society :: Spreading Awareness | We are dedicated to bring academic, social and moral awareness in the society". Shaoorpakistan.org. 2011-12-20. Retrieved 2012-02-03.