Aircoach

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Aircoach
Aircoachlogo.jpg
Greystones aircoach may.jpg
Slogan Travel in Luxury
Parent FirstGroup
Founded 1999
Headquarters Dublin
Routes 5
Destinations Dublin Airport
Cork
Dublin
Greystones
Bray
Belfast
Hubs Cork, Belfast, Dublin
Fleet 60
Operator FirstGroup
Managing Director Allen Parker
Website www.aircoach.ie
www.goaircoach.co.uk

Aircoach is an Ireland based subsidiary company of the United Kingdom based FirstGroup. It provides airport express coach services from Cork, Belfast Greystones, Bray, South Dublin and Dublin City Centre to Dublin Airport. It also operates contracted bus service for airport car parks.[1][2] and other private hire contracts in the Dublin area.

History[edit]

Setra 315 in Belfast in March 2009
Setra 415 in Vodafone All over ad.

Aircoach was formed in 1999 by John O'Sullivan, a former Bus Eireann employee. O'Sullivan sold 90% of the company to UK transport company FirstGroup in 2003 for €15m [3] before selling the remaining 10% for €1.5m in 2005. As a result Aircoach is now 100% owned by FirstGroup.

The company was awarded the Overall Logistics and Transport Excellence Award in addition to the Safety Award at the 2011 Irish Logistics and Transport Awards.[4] The company was also successful in the 2014 Fleet Bus and Coach awards, being named the Inter-City coach operator of the year as well as being handed an award for investment in innovation.[5]

In addition to their scheduled services, Aircoach also operates shuttle bus services at Dublin Airport along with contract services and is the Official Coach Supplier to the Leinster Rugby Team.[6]

Past Services[edit]

The first Aircoach route, Ballsbridge to Dublin Airport, was suspended after 14 years of operation in April 2013. Many of the stops on this service continue to be served by the Leopardstown route, with the stops unique to this service being amalgamated into the Greystones route.

A service from Ballinteer to Dublin Airport ran from April 2011 until December 2012, whilst the company also previously ran stopping commuter services to Belfast (2004-2010), Cork (2004-2012) and Portlaoise (2004-2006) to/from Dublin City and Dublin Airport.

The Phoenix Park shuttle ran from May 2008 until January 2010 using East Lancs Myllennium buses which were powered by LPG.

Fleet[edit]

The company operates a fleet of 47 coaches to operate its scheduled services and 13 buses, including a number of articulated vehicles to operate the car park shuttle services at Dublin Airport.

All coaches operated by Aircoach offer a core specification of leather seating, climate control, air-conditioning, reading lights, foot rests, free Wifi, seat belts and significant leg room, with all coaches built since 2006 also offering wheelchair access and CCTV.

The company took delivery of 16 Plaxton Panther 3 coaches during 2014, 10 to Intercity specification with 49 seats and a toilet for the Dublin to Cork Express route and a further 6 with 53 seats and no toilet for Dublin City to Airport services. All 16 coaches feature plug and USB charging sockets in addition to the Aircoach core specification .

The company also operates a fleet of 19 Jonckheere SHV-bodied Volvo B12B tri-axle coaches built in 2008/9, 7 Setra S415HD coaches built in 2004 along with four 2006 Scania Caetano Levantes and a 2005 Setra S315GT-HD.

The Dublin Airport car park shuttle uses 11 2008/9 articulated Mercedes-Benz Citaro buses. with a 2006 Wright-bodied Volvo B7RLE and a 2002 Mercedes-Benz Citaro rigid used on staff shuttle duty.

Aircoach in England[edit]

In August 2008 First Essex launched Stansted Aircoach X30, a service between Southend, Chelmsford and Stansted Airport.[7]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Bus Transport Routes to Dublin Airport". Aircoach. Archived from the original on 24 April 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2008. 
  2. ^ "Aircoach". FirstGroup. Retrieved 20 May 2008. 
  3. ^ "Aircoach Announces €15m Euro Deal". Aircoach. Retrieved 7 November 2003. 
  4. ^ "The irish Logistics & Transport Awards 2011". Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport Ireland. Retrieved 17 April 2011. 
  5. ^ "WINNERS ALL AT THE FLEET BUS & COACH AWARDS 2014". Fleet Transport. Retrieved 29 October 2013. 
  6. ^ "Aircoach - Proud Supporters of Leinster Rugby". Aircoach. Retrieved 29 June 2009. 
  7. ^ "Airport Services - First in Essex". FirstGroup. Retrieved 2 March 2011. 

External links[edit]

Media related to Aircoach at Wikimedia Commons