|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012)|
Airtel Africa is a subsidiary of Indian telecommunications company Airtel, that operates in 17 countries across Africa. It operates a GSM network in all countries, providing 2G or 3G depending upon the country of operation.
Countries of operations in Africa
Airtel operates in the following countries in Africa:
|Burkina Faso||Airtel Burkina Faso||Airtel Burkina Faso is the dominant player with 1,433,000 customers representing 50% market share.|
|Chad||Airtel Chad||Airtel Chad is the #1 operator with 69% market share.|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||Airtel DRC||Airtel is the market leader with almost 7 million customers at the end of June 2012.|
|Gabon||Airtel Gabon||Airtel Gabon has 829,000 customers and its market share stood at 61%.|
|Ghana||Airtel Ghana||Airtel Ghana had about 1.76 million customers at the end of 2010.|
|Kenya||Airtel Kenya||Airtel Kenya is the second largest operator and has 4 million customers.|
|Madagascar||Airtel Madagascar||Airtel holds second place in the mobile telecom market in Madagascar, has a 39% market share and over 1.4 million customers.|
|Malawi||Airtel Malawi||Airtel Malawi is the market leader with a market share of 72%.|
|Niger||Airtel Niger||Airtel Niger is the market leader with a 68% market share.|
|Nigeria||Airtel Nigeria||Airtel Nigera holds second place with a 20% market share having 25 million customer base as of March 2014.|
|Republic of the Congo||Airtel Congo B||Airtel Congo is the market leader with a 55% market share.|
|Rwanda||Airtel Rwanda||Airtel launched services in Rwanda on 30 March 2012.|
|Seychelles||Airtel Seychelles||Airtel is the leading comprehensive telecommunications services providers with over 55% market share of mobile market in Seychelles.|
|Sierra Leone||Airtel Sierra Leone|
|Tanzania||Airtel Tanzania||Airtel Tanzania is the market leader with a 38% market share.|
|Uganda||Airtel Uganda||Airtel Uganda stands as the #2 operator with a market share of 38%.|
On 18 November 2010, Airtel rebranded itself in India in the first phase of a global rebranding strategy. The company unveiled a new logo with 'airtel' written in lower case. Designed by London-based brand agency, The Brand Union, the new logo is the letter 'a' in lowercase, with 'airtel' written in lowercase under the logo.
On 23 November 2010, Airtel's Africa operations were rebranded to 'airtel'. Sri Lanka followed on 28 November 2010 and on 20 December 2010, Warid Telecom rebranded to 'airtel' in Bangladesh.
Acquisitions in Africa by Airtel
Airtel acquired the Uganda business of Warid in 2013.
One Network is a mobile phone network that allows Airtel customers to use the service in a number of countries at the same price as their home network. Customers can place outgoing calls at the same rate as their local network, and incoming calls are free. As of 2014[update], the service is available in Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Congo Brazzaville, Gabon, Ghana, India, Kenya, Madagascar, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia.
- "Zain.com". Zain.com. 2008-07-14. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- AMETW.com[dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Airtel Kenya grows subscriber base to four million; 3G network to launch in March". Telegeography.com. 2011-01-14. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "Airtel launches mobile services in Rwanda". The Times Of India. 30 March 2012.
- "About us | Airtel (Seychelles) – Mobile Phones, Mobile Internet, Broadband, Email, Blackberry & Roaming". Airtel.sc. 1997-10-24. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- "Airtel dons a new look, plans to be closer to consumers across the globe > afaqs! news & features". Afaqs.com. 2010-11-19. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "Uganda regulator clears Airtel’s Warid Telecom acquisition". Mint. 2013-05-13. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Tripathy, Devidutta; Goma, Eman (8 June 2010). "Bharti closes $9 billion Zain Africa deal". Reuters. Reuters. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- "Bharti Airtel to buy Telecom Seychelles for Rs 288 crore". Economic Times. 11 August 2010. Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- Bafna, Sanjay (15 November 2012). "AIRTEL Customers in AFRICA to Get FREE Incoming Calls While International Roaming in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh". Telecomtalk.info. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "One Network Services". Airtel. 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2014.