|Operating bases||Auckland, Brisbane, Perth|
|Subsidiaries||Airwork (NZ) Limited,
Airwork Flight Operations,
|Parent company||Airwork Group|
|Headquarters||Auckland, New Zealand|
Airwork is an aviation business based in Auckland, New Zealand. Airwork is New Zealand's largest general aviation company. It focuses on fixed wing and helicopter maintenance, leasing and operations working with private and public entities on aviation operations from the Auckland Police and Westpac helicopters to chartered 737s.
It operates freight services in Australia for Toll Priority and Pacific Air Express. It leases passenger aircraft to the Australian charter operator Alliance Airlines. It operates night postal services for Air Post a division of New Zealand Post in a joint venture agreement. Its main base is Auckland Airport, with hubs in Ardmore Airport, Blenheim Airport, Timaru Airport and Queenstown Airport in New Zealand. At Brisbane Airport and Perth Airport in Australia.
The original airline goes back to 1936 when Airwork first started out of Wellington and its first major aviation contract was assembling Tiger Moth biplanes. As the industry developed, Airwork moved into the engine overhaul business and in the 1970s became a listed company in which Brierley Investments built up a substantial shareholding. The Airwork group is one of New Zealand’s oldest aviation companies. Airwork Holdings Limited is listed on the New Zealand Stock Exchange (NZX) with the code AWK.
- 4 × Boeing 737-300F (on dry-lease to Toll Priority)
- 1 × Boeing 737-300F (on dry-lease contract to Air Post)
- 1 × Boeing 737-300 (on dry-lease contract in Europe)
- 3 × Boeing 737-400 (1 on dry lease to Alliance Airlines)
- 1 × IAI 1124 Westwind (Air Ambulance)(Inflite Charters Ltd.)
- 2 × Fairchild SA227-CC Metro 23
- 3 × Fairchild SA227-AC Metro III (on dry-lease contract to Air Post)
- 2 × British Aerospace J32EP Jetstream (Inflite Charters Ltd.)
- 2 × Fokker F27 Mk 500 Friendship (on dry-lease contract to Air Post)
- 1 × Piper PA-31-350 Chieftain
In addition to the aircraft above, Airwork owns 29 Helicopters.
Incidents and accidents
- On 26 November 1993, two aircraft operated by Airwork, under contract to the New Zealand Police, collided in mid-air over central Auckland. The collision of the Aérospatiale TwinStar helicopter and Piper Archer airplane resulted in the deaths of all four occupants.
- On 2 May 2005 a Fairchild SA227-AC Metro III registration ZK-POA broke up in flight 6 km East of Stratford. The flight was a NZ Post service from Auckland to Blenheim. The crash killed the two occupants.
- On 26 January 2014 a Boeing 737-300F registration ZK-TLC crashed on the runway at Henderson field, Honiara in the Solomons Islands.
The flight was a Toll freight service from Brisbane. The right landing gear collapsed during the roll out. All 3 crew were not hurt in the incident.
- Our Aircraft - Airwork flight operations retrieved 1 December 2012.
- NZ CAA civil register entry - ZK-AWK retrieved 21 June 2010.
- Greg Ninness (2013-10-05). "NZX Listing Beckons For Airwork Holdings". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- Aviation Safety Network ZK-POA accident description. Retrieved 18 December 2008.