The Barricade stream from Road D1089
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||François Ratelade|
|• Land1||48.02 km2 (18.54 sq mi)|
|• Population2 density||8.0/km2 (21/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||19002 / 19200|
|Elevation||650–880 m (2,130–2,890 ft)
(avg. 850 m or 2,790 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Aixois or Aixoises 
Aix is located some 50 km south-west of Clermont-Ferrand. The south eastern section of the commune is traversed by the TransEuroppienne Motorway (E70 / A89). Exit No. 24 is just next to the border and this exit to the north connects the motorway to the Highway D1089 which runs fairly parallel to the motorway from Ussel in the south-west to Merlines in the north-east passing through the heart of the commune. To reach the village of Aix it is possible to take the D40E2 which branches from the D1089 south-west of the commune and goes directly to the town. The town can also be accessed from the west on the D49 from Saint-Pardoux-le-Vieux which, after passing through the town, continues east to link with the D1089. There is also Highway D91 from the north as well as many small country roads.
To the south-east of the town about 1.5 km in a direct line is the railway station of La Marsalouse which is served by TER Limousin and TER Auvergne trains which link Clermont-Ferrand to Gare de Limoges-Bénédictins and Gare de Brive-la-Gaillarde. TER buses also connect Aix and La Marsalouse to Ussel and Montlucon town, this route having been transferred to the road on 29 February 2008. There are many forests covering the commune with approximately 50% forest and 50% farmland.
The commune is covered by numerous streams including the Dozanne, the Sarsonne, the Dognon, the Jaloustre, the Barricade, and many others. Most of these flow into the Chavanon river which forms the border between the Correze and Puy-de-Dome departments in the south-east.
Azure, a wolf passant of Or debruised by a quarter at sinister chief chequey in gules and Or.
List of Successive Mayors of Aix
(Not all data is known)
In 2009, the commune had 386 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known through the population censuses conducted in the town since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of municipalities with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Culture and heritage
The commune has a number of buildings and structures that are registered as historical monuments:
- The War Memorial (1921)
- The Inn (1821)
- A Farmhouse at La Sauvette (18th century)
- A Farmhouse at La Navade (1866)
- A Farmhouse at Encogneras (1747)
- A Farmhouse / Mill at La Chassagnite (18th century), one of the few water mills in running condition.
- Farmhouses (17th-19th century)
- Other sites of interest
- The Lyon-Bordeaux Roman Road visible between La Chassagnite and Aix railway station.
- A Feudal mound east of the town.
- Beautiful views of the Puy de Dome and Dore mountains (at the end of the village to the north on the D49).
- Hiking: the mail carrier path of 17 km with the departuree poiunt marked at the Town Hall. The Circuit de la Chassagnite (panel 13) of 13 km follows the Roman road. The Circuit Chamina 42 Roman road is 6 km with intermittent yellow signs.
- Mountain bike trail
The commune has several religious buildings and structures that are registered as historical monuments:
- A Cemetery Cross (1888)
- A Cemetery (1888). The movable items in the cemetery have been registered as historical objects.
- The Parish Church of Saint Martin-de-Tours (13th century). The Church contains many items that are registered as historical objects:
- 2 Bronze Bells (1871)
- A Painting with frame: Calvary with Saint Madeleine (17th century)
- A Sunburst Monstrance (19th century)
- A Neo-gothic Chalice with Paten (19th century)
- A Neo-gothic Chalice with Paten (19th century)
- A Reliquary Cross (19th century)
- A Sacristy Cross (17th century)
- A Painting: The Calvary (17th century)
- A Statue: Saint Martin-de-Tours (18th century)
- A Statue: Virgin and child (18th century)
- A Confessional (18th century)
- 2 Statues: Saint Gervais and Saint Protais (17th century)
- A Retable (17th century)
- A Stained glass window: Virgin of the Nativity and Christ of the Eucharist (1891)
- The Furniture in the Church
- Aix on the National Geographic Institute website (French)
- Aix on Lion1906
- Aix on Google Maps
- Aix on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Aix on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Aix on the INSEE website (French)
- INSEE (French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002 , the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" which allow, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For municipalities with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these municipalities is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force in 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Inhabitants of Correze
- Google Maps
- List of Mayors of France (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00066876 War Memorial (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00066877 Inn (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00066881 Farmhouse at La Sauvette (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00066880 Farmhouse at La Navade (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00066879 Farmhouse at Encogneras (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00066878 Farmhouse / Mill at La Chassagnite (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00066872 Farmhouses (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00066874 Cemetery Cross (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00066873 Cemetery (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000156 Movable items in the Cemetery (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00066875 Parish Church of Saint Martin-de-Tours (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM19001296 2 Bronze bells (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM19001123 Painting with frame: Calvary with Saint Madeleine (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000013 Sunburst Monstrance (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000012 Neo-gothic Chalice with Paten (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000011 Neo-gothic Chalice with Paten (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000010 Reliquary Cross (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000009 Sacristy Cross (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000008 Painting: The Calvary (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000007 Statue: Saint Martin-de-Tours (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000006 Statue: Virgin and child (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000005 Confessional (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000004 2 Statues: Saint Gervais and Saint Protais (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000003 Retable (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000002 Stained glass window: Virgin of the Nativity and Christ of the Eucharist (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM19000001 Furniture in the Church (French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aix (Corrèze).|