Aiyoku no Eustia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)|
|Aiyoku no Eustia|
Aiyoku no Eustia box art
(Aiyoku no Yūsutia)
|Genre||Action, Romance, Supernatural|
|Genre||Eroge, Visual novel|
|Released||April 28, 2011|
|Illustrated by||Monaco Sena|
|Published by||Kadokawa Shoten|
|Original run||April 2012 – ongoing|
Aiyoku no Eustia (穢翼のユースティア Aiyoku no Yūsutia , lit. "Eustia of the Tarnished Wings") is a Japanese adult visual novel developed by August for Windows and was released on April 28, 2011. Aiyoku no Eustia is August's eighth game, preceded by Fortune Arterial and Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na: Moonlight Cradle. It was planned to be released on March 25, but the schedule was changed due to the Great East Japan Earthquake.
The title is a play on words: the actual Kanji used are ai (穢, dirty) and yoku (翼, wing), rendering the primary meaning of "Eustia of the Tarnished Wings". However, aiyoku is a homonym in Japanese, and also means "worldly passion" or "lust" (愛欲). Accordingly, the alternate reading is "Eustia of Passion", which is an allusion to events within the game.
After the surface of the world succumbed to chaos centuries ago, the city of "Novus Aither" (ノーヴァス アイテル Novus Aiteru ) is kept afloat in the sky solely by the continual prayers offered by the Saint. Years ago, when the Saint's prayer was interrupted, an incident known as the "Gran Forte" occurred, causing a portion of the land to fall and split the lower city into two, separated by a cliff. Countless lives and property were lost or irreversibly affected in what would be known as the greatest disaster in the city's history.
In time, the lowest layer, known as the "Prison", became the home to people who lost much of their former lives during the "Gran Forte". Crime, famine, and disease run rampant, with "The Noncorroding Gold Chains", the ruling organization in the area specializing in the sex trade, keeping what little order that still exists. Meanwhile, a contagious disease which causes the infected to grow wings has spread throughout the city, and a unit commonly known as the "Wing Hunters" has been formed to deal with these people swiftly and often violently.
In this "Prison" resides Caim Astraea, a freelance ex-assassin who does odd jobs for his friend, the head of "The Noncorroding Gold Chains", for money. During one request, Caim finds Eustia, a winged girl who emits the pale purple light characteristic of the "Gran Forte" incident years ago. His encounter with Eustia will take him on a journey which will involve him with the most influential bodies of the city, including the Church and the royal government. As he searches for the meaning to his cruel, difficult life, he will discover the deepest and darkest secrets of Novus Aether.
- Caim Astraea
- Voiced by: Keizo Oishi (video game), Takashi Kondō (Drama CD)
- The main protagonist. He lost all of his friends and family in the Gran Forte and was taken in by the then head of the Golden Chain who had him trained as an assassin. He eventually earned his freedom and now works as a freelancer, his primary client being the now head of the Golden Chain, Sieg, his closest friend who is something of a brother to him as they were more or less raised together in the Golden Chain by Sieg's father, the former head. Despite still mainly working for the Golden Chain, he no longer takes on jobs where he has to kill. His training as an assassin has made him an extremely competent fighter and his life in Prison has made him cynical and pragmatic. His initial interest in Eustia is sparked by the light she gave off when he first saw her, a light he had only seen before during the gran forte.
- Eustia Astraea
- Voiced by: Shiho Moriho (video game), Yoshino Nanjo (Drama CD)
- The title character, Eustia (or Tia as she is usually called) is found by Caim as the only survivor of a grisly murder scene. An orphan for as long as she could remember, Tia grew up under harsh conditions, having worked as a slave for a noble family before being sold to the Golden Chains in "Prison" as a prostitute. She is found to have the wing disease, although her wings are markedly different from the others; it is quickly revealed that Tia is a special winged case and may possess supernatural powers.
- Eris Floralia
- Voiced by: Kiyomi Shinomiya (video game), Yuu Asakawa (Drama CD)
- The only female doctor in Prison who lives and works in the prostitute area. She was redeemed (purchased so that she did not have to work as a prostitute) by Caim and as a result became totally devoted to him. She is noted for her beauty and intelligence but is also well known for her sharp tongue and cold personality which only Caim is spared from. Caim wants nothing more than for Eris to treasure her freedom and live independently; Eris, however, wants nothing more than to be with and serve Caim.
- Saint Irene
- Voiced by: Soyogi Tōno (video game), Tae Okajima (Drama CD)
- The current Saint, Irene the 29th is gifted with a way with words and incredible strength of faith. Originally a homeless girl, she met Lavria, who would become a sister figure to her, on the streets. The Church would eventually take them both under its wing; she was selected to be the new Saint, to offer constant prayer on behalf of everyone in Novus Aether, after Irene the 28th was executed for interrupting her prayer and causing the "Gran Forte".
- Licia de novus Yurii
- Voiced by: Yuzuha Ebihara (video game), Eriko Nakamura (Drama CD)
- The current princess of Novus Aether and successor to the throne, Licia is a young, mischievous girl with little interest in the politics of her country, leaving the decision-making to the House of Nobles and its head, Gilbert. She is, however, very interested in what the "Prison" and the lower city are like (though she is terribly misinformed in this matter) and loves to do servant work such as hanging laundry and cooking.
- Fione Silvaria
- Voiced by: Sakura Tachibana (video game), Yuka Saito (Drama CD)
- The captain of the "Wing Hunters", Fione is a skilled swordswoman who has a very strong sense of responsibility and justice and as such, she clings on very strongly to her beliefs, which makes her come off as stubborn and inflexible. Her idealism often tends to clash with Caim's cynicism.
- Lucius dis Mireille
- Voiced by: Yasuhiro Okino (video game), Hiroki Takashi (Drama CD)
- A young noble and overseer of the "Wing Hunters" who has quickly gained recognition and power among the governing nobles. He is concerned with the corruption of the government and diligently working to improve the life of all citizens of Novus Aether.
- Siegfried Grado
- Voiced by: Shikiji (video game), Shinichiro Miki (Drama CD)
- The current leader of the "Gold Chains", son of the creator and previous leader, and Caim's close friend. The two of them share a long past, having worked as assassins and escaped from countless dangers together. He's usually laid back around Caim, Melt and Eris but as the leader of the Gold Chains he's serious, efficient and ruthless.
- Melt Logtie
- Voiced by: Anna Akashi (video game), Junko Asami (Drama CD)
- A wildly successful prostitute in her day, the previous leader of the "Gold Chains" eventually bought her for himself. She now runs a bar and restaurant that Caim and Siegfried both regularly visit on Prostitute Street in the "Prison".
- Sistina Uyl
- Voiced by: Kikka Ai (video game), Hana Takeda (Drama CD)
- Sistina is Lucius's adjutant.
- Voiced by: Hana Kiritani (video game), Atsumi Tanezaki (Drama CD)
- St. Irene the 29th's personal servant, Lavria is a timid girl who is torn between supporting St. Irene's beliefs and obeying the orders of the Church ministers to keep St. Irene in check.
- Voiced by: Fūka (video game), Yukari Honma (Drama CD)
- Currently the Golden Chain's most popular prostitute, she is beautiful, gentle and graceful but known for being sadistic when working.
- Voiced by: Būke Hanataba (video game), Saki Nakajima (Drama CD)
- Another prostitute of the Golden Chains. She is friends with Claudia and Iris and has a very cheerful and energetic personality.
- Voiced by: Saori Yukito (video game), Ai Fukuda (Drama CD)
- Another prostitute of the Golden Chains. She is young and has a fragile appearance which contrasts sharply with her personality as she casually insults people and uses foul language in a nearly unchanging monotone.
- Gau Lugeira
- Voiced by: Erena Kaibara (video game), Hyo-Sei (Drama CD)
- Gau is a superior swordswoman.
- Lang Scrope
- Voiced by: Kazuya Sugisaki (video game), Kisho Taniyama (Drama CD)
- Lang is a vice-leader of Fione's corps.
- Nudar Atraid
- Voiced by: Noroyuki (video game), Noriaki Sugiyama (Drama CD)
- Nudar is the head priest / bishop of the church of Saint Irene.
- Varrius Meisner
- Voiced by: Kazuya Ichijō (video game)
- Varrius is the captain of the Palace Guard.
- Gilbert dis Balstein
- Voiced by: Ichiban Nagahama (video game), Keiji Fujiwara (Drama CD)
- Gilbert is the top administrator of "Novus Aither".
- Voiced by: Bifu Hitoshi (video game)
- Oz is Siegfried's confidant.
- Cougar Silvaria
- Voiced by: Daijirō Kataoka (video game), Yasunori Matsumoto (Drama CD)
- Cougar is Fione's older brother.
- Voiced by: Yūto Mutsuki (video game), Unknown (Drama CD)
- Bernado is a leader of "Fūshō". Bernado was a vice-leader of "Fushokukinsa".
Two maxi singles were released for the opening and ending themes on April 28, 2011. The first contained the opening theme "Asphodelus" (アスフォデルス) by Ceui and the insert song "Tears of Hope" (ティアズ・オブ・ホープ). The second one contained the ending theme "Shinainaru Sekai e" (親愛なる世界へ) by Ceui and the insert song "Close My Eyes" (クローズ・マイ・アイズ) by Ami Fujisaki.
- "穢翼のユースティア Official Web -World Page-" [Aiyoku no Eustia Official Web -World Page-] (in Japanese). August.
- "穢翼のユースティア Official Web -prod Page-" [Aiyoku no Eustia Official Web -prod Page-] (in Japanese). August. 2010-02-25.