Aizhai Bridge under construction in August 2011
|Carries||4 lanes of G65 Baotou–Maoming Expressway|
|Crosses||Dehang Grand Canyon (德夯大峡谷)|
|Total length||1,534 m (5,033 ft)|
|Width||24.5 m (80 ft)|
|Longest span||1,146 m (3,760 ft)|
|Vertical clearance||350 m (1,150 ft)|
|Construction begin||October 2007|
|Construction end||December 2011|
|Opened||31 March 2012|
The Aizhai Bridge (矮寨大桥) is a suspension bridge on the G65 Baotou–Maoming Expressway near Jishou, Hunan, China. The bridge was built as part of an expressway from southwest China's Chongqing Municipality to Changsha.
With a main span of 1,146 metres (3,760 ft) and a deck height of 350 metres (1,150 ft), as of 2013[update], it is the sixth-highest bridge in the world and the world's fifteenth-longest suspension bridge. Of the world's 400 or so highest bridges, none has a main span as long as Aizhai. It is also the world's highest and longest tunnel-to-tunnel bridge. The bridge contains 1888 lights to increase visibility at night.
Construction on the Aizhai Bridge began in October 2007 and was completed by the end of 2011, ahead of schedule. The bridge was temporarily opened to pedestrians during the 2012 Spring Festival and was formally opened to traffic in March 2012.
The bridge was built with the assistance of a $208 million loan from the Asian Development Bank; the total project cost was $610 million, which included 64 kilometres (40 mi) of expressway construction (two thirds of which comprised bridge and tunnel) and upgrades to 129 kilometres (80 mi) of local roads. The bridge and the associated road construction were projected to reduce the travel time between Jishou and Chadong from 4 hours to less than 1 hour.
- The bridge that suspends belief | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! News
- Hunan Government
- Sakowski, Eric Sakowski (2009). "Aizhai Bridge from highestbridges.com". http://highestbridges.com/. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "China (News),Road transport (News),World news". The Guardian (London). 2 April 2012.
- "China opens record-breaking bridge over canyon". The Daily Telegraph (London). 30 March 2012.
- 湖南：矮寨大桥竣工成为湘西一景 春节开放每天万人参观（图）_中国公路网
- Yinbo Liu (May 2013), The Construction of a 1,176 Meter Long Aizhai Suspension Bridge, 26th ICTPA Annual Meeting, Tampa, FL, retrieved 10 August 2014
- 12:00PM BST 17 Sep 2012 (2012-09-17). "Video: Daredevils take part in Chinese base jumping festival". Telegraph. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "2012 Aizhai Bridge International BASE Jump Festival takes fl". YouTube. 2012-09-17. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Aizhai Bridge Jumping Festival, Aizhai China". Suz Graham. 2012-10-11. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- Media related to Aizhai Bridge at Wikimedia Commons
- Aizhai Bridge on HighestBridges.com
- Aizhai Suspension Bridge at Structurae
- Video from The Telegraph including aerial views of the Aizhai Bridge