|Genres||Dark metal, black metal, acoustic|
Shape of Despair
To Separate the Flesh from the Bones
Am I Blood
|Members||Itse Ruoja Suruntuoja
|Past members||Samuel Lempo
Malakias IV †
Ajattara was a five-piece dark metal band from Helsinki, Finland. They formed in 1996 and split up 2012. They are signed to Spinefarm Records and have released six albums, their most recent being Murhat, which was released in early 2011.
Ajattara formed in 1996 as a side project of Amorphis singer Pasi Koskinen. Their first release was a demo tape entitled Helvetissä On Syntisen Taivas which was released in 1998. The band then signed to Spikefarm Records and went on to release three albums - Itse in 2001, Kuolema in 2003 and Tyhjyys in 2004. These albums were met with largely good reviews. Ajattara then went onto release a "Christmas Single" in the Novembers of 2004 and 2005, which is a tradition they have done for the last three years. They were entitled Ilon Juhla (2004) and Joulu (2005). The band then went onto release another album in 2006, entitled Äpäre, which was met with similar reviews as their last three albums. The band continued with the Christmas single tradition of 2004 and 2005 by releasing a single entitled Sika in 2006.
At the end of 2006 Ajattara's long time group broke up, when Pasi Koskinen made Nazi salutes and other related political statements during a concert. Ajattara then reformed with a new line up some time during 2007. The band entered the studio on June 1, 2007 to begin recording on the album Kalmanto which was released on September 5, 2007. However, this album was not met with such good reviews as Ajattara's other albums, as some critics said the album sounded chaotic and forced. In April 2009 Ajattara released their 6th album entitled Noitumaa, this time being an all-acoustic album, which received clearly better reviews than the previous release.
Ajattara announced their 7th album to be released on February 2, 2011, named Murhat (murders in English).
Ajattara combine elements of black metal that play a style of black metal not dissimilar to Celtic Frost and to a lesser extent Samael. The combined use of synthesisers and heavy guitar sounds give Ajattara a distinct "grimey" sound. The lyrical themes of Ajattara usually deal with death, evil and paganism.
- Itse Ruoja Suruntuoja (Pasi Koskinen) - vocals, guitar, keyboards (1996-)
- Kalmos (Vesa Wahlroos) - guitar, backing vocals (2007-)
- Tartunta (Mynni Luukkainen) - guitar (2010-)
- Tohtori Kuolio (Juha Harju) - bass, backing vocals (2007-)
- Malakias V (Rainer Tuomikanto) - drums (2010-)
- Samuel Lempo (Tomi Koivusaari) - guitar
- Ismonster (Ismo Liljelund) - guitar
- Akir Kalmo (Aki Räty) - keyboards
- Ikkala (Jarmo Ikala) - keyboards
- Orpo (Pekka Kasari) - drums
- Atoni (Toni Laroma) - bass (1996–2007)
- Malakias I (Pekka Sauvolainen) - drums (1996–2003)
- Malakias II (Jan Rechberger) - drums (2003–2004)
- Malakias III (Atte Sarkima) - drums (2004–2007)
- Irstas (Kalle Sundström) - keyboards (2004–2007)
- Raajat (Janne Immonen) - keyboards (2007–2010)
- Malakias IV (Tonmi Lillman) (died in 2012) - drums (2007–2010) †
- Studio albums
- Itse (2001)
- Kuolema (2003)
- Tyhjyys (2004)
- Äpäre (2006)
- Kalmanto (2007)
- Noitumaa (2009)
- Murhat (2011)
- Compilation albums
- Joululevy (2009)
- Demo albums
- Helvetissä On Syntisen Taivas (1998)
- Ilon Juhla (2004)
- Joulu (2005)
- Sika (2006)
- Tulppaani (2007)
- Rivadavia, Eduardo "Ajattara Biography", Allmusic, Macrovision Corporation
- "Former TO/DIE/FOR And SINERGY Drummer TONMI LILLMAN Dead At 38". Blabbermouth.net. 15 February 2012. Retrieved 15 February 2012.