Ajit Jain (born July 23, 1951 in Orissa, India) is an Indian born employee of Berkshire Hathaway who currently heads several reinsurance businesses. He was raised in India's coastal state of Orissa. He graduated in 1972 from the IIT Kharagpur with a bachelor's degree in engineering.
Jain worked for IBM in India from 1973 to 1976, then moved to the United States, where he earned an MBA from Harvard Business School in 1978. He joined McKinsey & Co., but returned to India in the early 1980s. After a monthlong courtship, he married Tinku Jain, a girl his parents introduced him to. Then he went back to the United States to work for McKinsey. According to Robert P. Miles' book The Warren Buffett CEO: Secrets from the Berkshire Hathaway Managers, Jain said he would not have returned to America, but his wife wanted to move there. In 1985 he left McKinsey to work on insurance operations for Buffett. At the time, he said he knew little about the insurance business. Today, Jain is the President of Berkshire Hathway Insurance group. He is leading Berkshire's Indian insurance market venture.
- "Warren Buffett testing Indian market". Rediff. 2003-06-27. Archived from the original on 10 March 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-24.
- Ajit Jain leads pack to take over from Warren Buffett
- Holm, Erik; Ng, Serena (May 5, 2012). "In Ajit Jain, Some See Next Buffett". The Wall Street Journal. pp. B1–B2.
- "Ajit Jain: Berkshire's next Oracle?". Rediff India Abroad. 2009-03-06. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- Urban, Rob (2002-07-11). "Jain, Buffett Pupil, Boosts Berkshire Cash as Succession Looms". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 2006-07-23.
- "First Indian venture of US conglomerate Berkshire Hathaway". 18 December 2012. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "BerkshireInsurance in India".
- Miles, Robert P., "The Warren Buffett CEO: Secrets from the Berkshire Hathaway Managers," John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2003.
- Matthews, Jeff, "Secrets in Plain Sight: Business and Investing Secrets of Warren Buffett," eBooks On Investing, 2012.